Certificate of Higher Education (Pre-med, Pre-dent)
Certificate of Higher Education (Pre-Med, Pre-Dent)
The University of Glasgow offers this route into medical or dental studies for international, government sponsored school leavers educated overseas.
The Certificate provides the basic science and English language skills necessary for study in the undergraduate Medicine (MBChB) or the undergraduate Dentistry (BDS) programme.
The programme is specifically aimed at international, applicants who have demonstrated high academic potential but who otherwise would not be eligible to apply for the traditional five year professional programmes (either due to academic qualifications or language skills).
The main focus will be the disciplines of Biology and Chemistry as well as further developing language skills in writing, reading, listening and speaking. In addition to these core areas, the Certificate offers key transferable and generic skills, invaluable for successful undergraduate study.
Students will experience both large and small group teaching throughout the academic session in lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes. In addition there will be professional development sessions specifically tailored to prepare students for future study on our professional programmes.
An extensive support network is in place for students of the Certificate, with close involvement with senior academic and administrative staff throughout the academic year.
Dental School: email@example.com
Medical School: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One of the top 100 universities in the world
- Prestigious Russell Group University
- Ranked 1st in the UK for Dentistry and 2nd for Medicine*
- 3rd largest city in the UK
- Best shopping outside London
- Over 120 music events every week
- 29,000 students from over 140 countries
*Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- Normally a minimum of 90% overall in high school qualifications, with no less than 90% in Chemistry and Biology and one from Physics and Maths.
- A Level minimum BBB will normally be considered, with at least one science.
- IB minimum score of 34 will normally be considered, with 3 HL subjects at 6,6,5 (must include Chemistry and Biology) and Maths or Physics at minimum score of 6 at SL.
- SAT I overall score 1800 with no subtest less than 600 plus two AP subjects (including Biology or Chemistry) at grade 4 or above OR three AP subjects (including Biology or Chemistry) at grade 4 or above.
- Applicants may be invited to interview if they do not meet minimum entry requirements, with the combination of required subjects.
- AS Level: Minimum of grades AAA at AS Level will normally be considered, with at least one science.
English Language Requirement
- IELTS UKVI (Academic) is required, with normally no less than 6.0 (with no subtest lower than 6.0) considered. For CoHE, in-sessional English will be required if IELTS does not meet the current requirements for entry to Medicine or Dentistry (7.0, with no subtest lower than 7.0). See here for all approved UKVI tests and FAQ.
- Applicants are requested to apply through UCAS, with course code 4T6H. Direct applications can be made to the School on request.
- Final deadlines for submission of CoHE applications is 30 June 2022.
- However, applications will be considered and processed at the time of submission if received prior to these dates.
- Applicants will normally only be interviewed if they do not meet minimum entry requirements, with the combination of required subjects.
Fees & Funding
- Fees for 2022 entry are £23,950.
- Applicants must successfully apply for Government sponsorship. On confirmation of their scholarship, applicants must forward evidence to the Admissions Administrator in time to administer their commencement of studies. It is strongly recommended that applicants contact their Embassy to discuss eligibility before they apply.
Regulations and Course Outline
- The Certificate of Higher Education (pre-med) regulations and course outline for academic year 2022/2023 can be found here.
What our Students Say
- Glasgow provides a wonderful student life. It also broadens students'
knowledge during the course which will then open the path to our future
career. There is an outstanding feature that makes Glasgow unique and it
has a friendly population. Dalal (Kuwait)
- The University of Glasgow is a great place to learn. The facilities available
are exceptional and I am still amazed by the library which has 12 floors!
The staff are extremely friendly, as are the students, and I have found it easy
to settle in. Studying this pre-med course is helping me integrate into
university and it’s also teaching me how to study independently. This course
will prepare me for next year as I will be more familiar with the work load
and how to manage my time at university. Sarah (Kuwait)
- The University of Glasgow is so diverse that everyone will find somewhere
to fit in. Nothing but positive vibes are given by the students and staff. You
know that this is where you belong just about the second you step into the
campus. Also, having to go to a university in such a historic city such as
Glasgow you will always lay your eyes on something that is simply
breathtaking. However, Glasgow is such a vibrant city, with lots of activities
going around somewhere. Balkeen (Saudi Arabia)