Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I study Scots law can I only practise as a lawyer in Scotland?  

A: No.  You can still apply to train as a solicitor at a law firm in England – even without an English law degree. Or you can train to be a barrister in England, providing you complete the relevant vocational qualifications and training. Even if you stay in Scotland to qualify as a solicitor it is still possible - after qualifying - to practise law in England, providing you undertake the appropriate examinations.

If you intend to practise law within England & Wales, please visit:

The Law Society:  (for information on becoming a solicitor)

The Bar Council: (for information on becoming a barrister)