Dr Livashnee Naidoo
- Lecturer in Commercial Law (School of Law)
Dr Liv Naidoo joined the School of Law as a Lecturer in Commercial Law in January 2020, having previously held a Lectureship in Commercial Law at the University of Cape Town. She obtained her LLB degree (cum laude) from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, her LLM in Shipping Law (with distinction) from the University of Cape Town, and her PhD from the University of Southampton (2019). Her PhD was fully funded as a Commonwealth Scholar.
Liv is an admitted attorney and notary of the High Court of South Africa and, practised at a leading firm in South Africa specialising in International Trade, Shipping and Insurance Law. Her research interests include Maritime Law, (International) Commercial Law, (Insurance) Contract Law and Theory, and International Trade and Finance.
She teaches Commercial Law (Common Law) and Business Organisations.
Liv’s research interests are in Maritime Law, (International) Commercial Law, (Insurance) Contract Law and Theory, and International Trade and Finance. She researches and writes at the intersection of Commercial and Private Law. Her current and future research interests consist of two strands: (i) Sustainability, Insurance Law, and InsurTech; and (ii) Law, Technology and Commercial Markets.
First, she is interested in understanding how sustainability issues are being addressed - and should be addressed - in relation to insurance and shipping markets. Secondly, she is conducting research on issues of sustainability (both social and environmental) and InsurTech. Thirdly, she is interested in blending applied contract theory with law & technology to understand how commercial contracts and contracting behaviour have evolved with technological developments.
Liv’s doctoral studies was fully funded as a Commonwealth Scholar (£90,000). She received additional funding from the British Insurance Law Association (£700) for her PhD.
- Business Organisations
- Commercial Law (Common Law)
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars
- Member of the Corporate and Financial Law Research Group
- Nominated and recognised as one of the Top 200 Young South Africans in the category ‘Law & Justice’ (2019).
- Invited to present at the ‘Anglo-Chinese Maritime Law & Practise in Transition II’ Conference, University of Southampton
- Invited speaker at the Symposium on ‘Differential Treatment in Insurance Law: Collateral Damage?’ Koç University funded by EU Erasmus Plus.
- The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, ‘The Future of the Commercial Contract’.
- Venice, ‘The International Research Seminar in Maritime, Port and Transport Law’.
- The American Society of Comparative Law, ‘The Younger Comparativists Committee 6th Annual Conference’.
- University College London, ‘Early Career Researchers’ Conference’.
- University of Sassari, ‘6th edition of Transport Law de Lege Ferenda’.
- McGill University, ‘Fourth Worldwide Congress of the World Society of Mixed Jurisdiction Jurists’.