Dr Livashnee Naidoo
- Lecturer in Commercial Law (School of Law)
Dr Liv Naidoo joined the School of Law as a Lecturer in Commercial Law in January 2020, having previously held a Lectureship in Commercial Law at the University of Cape Town. She obtained her LLB degree (cum laude) from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, her LLM in Shipping Law (with distinction) from the University of Cape Town, and her PhD from the University of Southampton (2019). Her PhD (fully funded as a Commonwealth Scholar) examined the legal regulation of marine insurance contracts through the lens of applied contract theory.
Liv is also an admitted Attorney and Notary of the High Court of South Africa and practiced in the areas of International Trade, Shipping and Insurance Law.
Liv sits on the Executive Committee of the Society of Legal Scholars (Ordinary Member). She is also a member of the British Insurance Law Association, and a member of the Corporate and Financial Law Research Group at the School of Law.
- Commercial Insurance (Contract) Law and Theory
- International Commercial Law
- Shipping Law
- Sustainability and Insurance
- Smart Technologies in Insurance and Shipping markets.
Liv welcomes applications for PhD supervision in these areas.
- Doctoral Scholarship, UK Commonwealth Commission (£90,000)
- Research Funding, British Insurance Law Association (£700)
- Business Organisations
- Commercial Law (Common Law and Scots Law)
- International Commercial Arbitration (LLM)
- Insurance and Financial Markets (LLM)
- International Sales and Finance (LLM)
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2021: Doctoral College Research Award (University of Southampton)
- 2019: Top 200 Young South Africans - Law & Justice (Mail& Guardian)
Professional & learned societies
- 2020 - 2023: Executive Committee Member, Society of Legal Scholars
- 2020: Committee Member, Staff Forum
- 2020: Member, Corporate and Financial Law Research Group
- 2016: Member, British Insurance Law Association
- 2009: Member, The Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers
Selected international presentations
- 2021: Dissent in Insurance Law (University of Glasgow/British Insurance Law Association)
- 2020: Co-Organiser and Co-Chair: AI and the Future of Law Webinar (University of Glasgow)
- 2020: Invited Speaker: British Insurance Law Association, Annual Lecture Series (London)
- 2019: Invited Speaker: Anglo-Chinese Maritime Law & Practice in Transition Conference II (University of Southampton)
- 2019: Invited Speaker: Differential Treatment in Insurance Law: Collateral Damage? Symposium (Koç University)
- 2017: Organiser of a Panel Session: Younger Comparativists Committee, American Society of Comparative Law 6th Annual Conference (Koç University)
- 2020, EU, Co-Contributor to the Responses for the Consultation on the Renewed Sustainable Finance Strategy.