Dr Livashnee Naidoo
- Lecturer (School of Law)
Dr Liv Naidoo joined the School of Law as a Lecturer in Commercial Law in January 2020, having previously held a Lectureship in Commercial Law at the University of Cape Town. She obtained her LLB (cum laude) from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, her LLM in Shipping Law (with distinction) from the University of Cape Town, and her PhD from the University of Southampton (2019). Her PhD (Commonwealth Scholar) examined the legal regulation of marine insurance contracts through the lens of applied contract theory. Liv is also an admitted Attorney and Notary of the High Court of South Africa and practiced in the areas of International Trade, Shipping and Insurance Law.
Liv has held visiting research positions at the University of Cambridge and the University of Cape Town. She is an Executive Committee Member of the British Insurance Law Association, and a past Executive Committee Member of the Society of Legal Scholars (Ordinary Member). At the School of Law, she is a member of the Corporate and Financial Law Research Group, and the Private Law Research Group.
- Insurance (Contract) Law and Theory
- International Commercial Law
- Shipping Law
- Private Law Theory
- Sustainability and Technology in Insurance and Shipping markets
Liv welcomes applications for PhD supervision in these areas.
- £30,000, Willis Research Network, Research Challenge Fund 'Trust in Technology' (PI)
- £15,000, British University in Dubai (Co-PI)
- £90,000, UK Commonwealth Commission, Doctoral Scholarship
- Business Organisations (Level 2)
- Commercial Law (Common Law and Scots Law) (Level 2)
- International Commercial Arbitration (LLM)
- Insurance and Financial Markets (LLM)
- International Sales and Finance (LLM)
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2021: Doctoral College Research Award (University of Southampton)
- 2019: Top 200 Young South Africans - Law & Justice (Mail & Guardian)
- 2020, EU, Co-Contributor to the Responses for the Consultation on the Renewed Sustainable Finance Strategy.