Dr Antonio Marzal
- Senior Lecturer (School of Law)
5-9 The Square, Stair Building, University of Glasgow, School of Law, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Toni Marzal joined the School of Law in 2018.
Previously he was a Lecturer (maître de conférences) at the Sorbonne Law School in Paris (2015-2018), where he directed the double degree in French and Spanish law in collaboration with the Complutense University in Madrid, and taught as an external lecturer at Sciences Po Law School. He was also a Max Weber Fellow at the European University Institute in Florence (2014-2015) and a visiting researcher at Harvard and Columbia Law Schools. Additionally, he has experience practising as a lawyer in international arbitration in a US law firm based in Paris (2012-2014).
Toni obtained an LLB and an LLM from ESADE Law School in Barcelona, and an LLM in private international law and international law commerce from the Sorbonne.
He defended his PhD at the Sorbonne in October 2013. The PhD was subsequently awarded three different prizes: the André Isoré grand award of the Chancellerie des Universités de Paris in Private Law, the Pierre-Henri Teitgen award in European Law, and the Institut Universitaire Varenne award in European Law. It has since been published as a book in French by LGDJ, under the title: La dynamique du principe de proportionnalité. Essai dans le contexte des libertés de circulation du droit de l’Union européenne.
In August 2019, Toni was a visiting scholar in Mexico City at the IIJ-UNAM (Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas-Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México).
Toni's research focuses on the following areas:
- International investment law & international arbitration
- EU constitutional law
- Comparative law & comparative legal theory
- Private international law
Within those areas, he is particularly interested in legal reasoning, the circulation of legal ideas across different legal systems, and legal pluralist frameworks.
He welcomes PhD proposals that fit within any of these fields and preoccupations.
- Mak, Ho Wang
Sovereign Debt Regulation: Towards a Unified International Law
Toni's teaching includes:
- Common law system and method
- EU law
- International private law and commercial litigation
- Comparative law
- International arbitration
Author of the following blog posts / op-eds:
- "Against DCF valuation in ISDS: on the inflation of awards and the need to rethink the calculation of compensation for the loss of future profits", EJIL:Talk!, 26 January 2021, https://www.ejiltalk.org/against-dcf-valuation-in-isds-on-the-inflation-of-awards-and-the-need-to-rethink-the-calculation-of-compensation-for-the-loss-of-future-profits/
- "Guerra judicial por la constitución económica europea", Ctxt, 9/6/2020, https://ctxt.es/es/20200601/Firmas/32514/constitucion-economica-europea-alemania-solidaridad-tratados-Toni-Marzal.htm
- "Is the BVerfG PSPP decision “simply not comprehensible”?: A critique of the judgment’s reasoning on proportionality", Verfassungsblog, 9/5/2020, https://verfassungsblog.de/is-the-bverfg-pspp-decision-simply-not-comprehensible/
- "We Need to Talk About Valuation in ISDS", Verfassungsblog, 5/3/2020, https://verfassungsblog.de/we-need-to-talk-about-valuation-in-isds/
Reviews editor for the Revue critique de droit international privé
Co-director of documentary film “Transgression”, on the rights of transgender people in the US immigrant detention system. Produced by the Harvard Law Documentary Studio. Awarded 3rd place at the Fordham 2012 FOLCS Short Film Competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tk0v9mZlEQ