Dr MD Sarwar Sohel
- Lecturer in Environmental Science & Sustainability (School of Interdisciplinary Studies)
I am a Lecturer in Environmental Science & Sustainability at the University of Glasgow's School of Interdisciplinary Studies. I am currently Programme Director of the MSc Environmental Risk Management.
Before joining the University of Glasgow, I worked for the Institute of Geography, the University of Bern and the University of Southampton. I was the recipient of Europe's most competitive and prestigious awards Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship.
I hold a PhD (2016) in Geography and Environmental Science from the University of Southampton, UK, where I specialized in interdisciplinary and social-ecological systems research. Prior to starting my PhD, I completed my MSc (2012) in Environmental Sciences from Wageningen University, The Netherlands.
Between my BSc and MSc degrees, I worked on climate change, water resources management, disaster management, wetlands and natural resources management and other environmental, development and sustainability issues in Bangladesh.
My research aims to define the limits (Tipping point, Safe and just operating space) of sustainability by understanding the complex dynamics between social and ecological systems. My research focuses mainly on the understanding of social-ecological dynamics (e.g. feedbacks, nonlinearity, delay) and how it can be applied to sustainability challenges at the local, national and global scale.
Thematically, my research interest spans to ecosystem services, and human wellbeing, resilience to natural hazards, climate change impacts and adaptation, water resource management, sustainable land management, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), poverty, and food security.
On the methodological side, I use system dynamics, agent-based and participatory modelling to understand the dynamics of the social-ecological systems. In addition to the modelling approaches, I also use time series analysis through statistical and econometric methods to understand the co-evolution and relationships within and between social and ecological systems. In the case of cross-sectional analysis, I am skilled at analysing the “Household Income and Expenditure Survey” datasets collected by national governments and the world bank.
My research focuses mainly on how the social-ecological system approach can be applied to sustainability challenges at the local, national and global scale. My research interest spans to:
- Social-ecological systems
- System dynamics, agent-based and integrated modelling
- Ecosystem Services and human well-being
- Boundaries for sustainable development, tipping point, Safe and just operating space
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Risk and resilience to natural hazards
- Climate change (Impacts and Adaptation)
- Water resources management
- Poverty and Food security
Interdisciplinary research and sustainability challenges in Bangladesh, Kenya, Switzerland, Deltas and coastal areas (Major), South Africa, Tunisia, Vietnam (Mekong), Australia, Poland, Brazil (Amazon) and China (minor)
Opportunity: If you are interested in joining as a PhD candidate/postdoc, please contact me at MDSarwarHossain.Sohel@glasgow.ac.uk, to discuss potential ideas (pls see the research interests section) and funding opportunities with a brief description of your research interests (one-page max). Please also include an updated curriculum vitae, research skills and experiences (e.g., presentations, publications, etc).
1. Co-I- Social and environmental impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic in Vietnamese provinces bordering China and Laos following border closure (2020-2022). Funding from UKRI/GCRF/Newton Fund through EPSRC (EP/V043218/1). Visit Project Website.
2. PI- Exploring pathways for transformation to sustainability using the safe and just operating space concept at the regional level(SUccESS). Visit Project Website. European Commission, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship Feb 2019- Jan 2021.
3. PI- Modelling Risk and Resilience in Human and Natural Systems. Visit Project Website. Swiss National Science Foundation, 2019.
4. Co-PI- Social-ecological systems modelling and Sustainable Land Management (SSLM). Visit Project Website Sustainable Land Management Unit, University of Bern.2017-2019.
5. PI- Participatory modelling for conceptual system dynamic model of the social-ecological system in Bangladesh delta. Visit Project Website. South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE)- March – October 2015. Grant
6. Safe Operating Space for Development and Ecosystem Services in Bangladesh (SOS-DES). Visit Project Website. Interdisciplinary PhD Studentship by Nation Environmental Research Council, Economics, Social Research Council, UK, and the University of Southampton. 2012-2015. Grant
7. Co-PI- Mainstreaming of Climate Change in National Policy Development using Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) in Water Resource Management at Narail, Bangladesh. NGO Forum on ADB. Grant
Md Nurul Amin. Understanding the Role of Social-Ecological System Framework for Examining Australian Farmers’ Capacity to Manage Soil Carbon, University of New England, Australia. 2018-2021
Sayantani Mukherjee Basak. Spatio-Temporal and Social Dimensions of Human-Wildlife Interactions (Foreign advisor), Jagiellonian University, Poland
System dynamics modelling for agroecosystem functioning and services (Visiting PhD student from Stellenbosch University, South Africa) 2019
Household food security in Kenya, Institute of Geography, University of Bern 2019-2020.
River restoration in ecosystem services perspective, Jagiellonian University, Poland 2019-2020
Land degradation in Tunisia, Institute of Geography, University of Bern 2019
Undergraduate: BSc (Hons) Environmental Science and Sustainability
- Environmental Policy and Management (DUMF4040)
- Global environmental issues (DUMF1008)
- Environmental Stewardship Project DUMF 4008P
Masters: MSc Environmental Risk Management
- Programme Director of the MSc Environmental Risk Management.
- Dissertation/ Placement DUMF5078/ DUMF5104
I contribute to:
- Research Methods in Environmental Risk and Management (DUMF5137)
- Theories, Practice and Policies in Environmental Risk and Management (DUMF5138)
- Research Methods For Environmental Scientists (DUMF2024)
Institute of Geography, University of Bern 2017-2020
- System dynamics modelling of social-ecological systems
- Challenges in geography
- Geodata analysis and modelling (Guest Lecture, System dynamics modelling)
- Research planning (Guest Lecture)
Geography and Environmental Science University of Southampton UK 2014-2016
- Global Climate Change: Science, Impacts and Policy (Guest lecture)
- Geographical, Quantitative and Field Skills (Teaching Assistant): Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Dangerous world (Guest lecture)
Professional activities & recognition
- 2019 - 2020: Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship, European Commission
- 2019 - 2020: Guest Editor, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology
- 2019 - 2020: Guest Editor, Science of the Total Environment
Professional & learned societies
- 2020: Member, Global Land Program (GLP)
- 2019: Member, Early Career Professionals Future Earth
- 2019: Member, Member IUCN Commission on Ecosystem Management (CEM)
- 2017: Member, Young Ecosystem Service Specialists (YESS)
- 2013: Conference Officer, NRG BESS (Next Research Generation BESS: Early career network for the NERC Biodiversity & Ecosystem Service Sustainability)
The Bangladesh coastal zone: Improvements in human well-being have come at an unsustainable environmental cost at one of the world's most climate-vulnerable regions, ESPA (Ecosystem services for poverty alleviation) Website: http://www.espa.ac.uk/news-blogs/blog/bangladesh-coastal-zone-improvements-human-well-being-have-come-unsustainable
A Perfect Storm In Bangladesh. https://www.eyesonthestorm.org/blog/a-perfect-storm-in-bangladesh
Md Sarwar Hossain (2019). Living within a safe space. The Dhaka Tribune.
The Dhaka Tribune is a national English-language broadsheet daily newspaper published in Dhaka Bangladesh.
Youtube Channel: SES LaB
Personal webpage: SES Lab