We can provide a high-quality service for students and staff across the University, enabling state-of-the-art preparation of a wide range of biological and material specimens.
We also welcome researchers from other academic institutions and commercial organisations.
Support and advice is provided for consultation prior the work and throughout the sample processing and imaging by technical staff with several years of experience.
Researchers have access to the following techniques:
Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- Conventional resin embedding of biological specimens
- Semi-thin and Ultra-thin sectioning for light and TEM microscopy
- Low temperature specimen processing for Immunocytochemistry
- Negative staining and Methylcellulose/Uranyl Acetate embedding
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Critical point drying
- High vacuum metal sputter coating
Specialised Cryo-Preparation Techniques
- Freeze Drying
- Freeze Fracture