Dr Jelmer Vos
- Lecturer in Global History (History)
- Atlantic slave trade
- African social and economic history
- Commodities and labour in the global south
Coffee and colonialism in Angola, 1820-1960
In this book project, I aim to explain how Angolan robusta coffee became a global commodity, how western demand for this product affected the lives of the Africans who produced it, and how local cultivation methods were related to landscapes.
- Radboud-Glasgow Collaboration Fund (2020/21), 'Slavery, Forced Migration and Family History: towards a Durable Partnership in Research and Teaching', £10,852
- Radboud-Glasgow Collaboration Fund (2019/20), ‘Life After Slavery: Setting the Research Agenda of Slave Histories in the Global Era, 1750-1900’, £7,680
- Leverhulme Research Fellowship (2019/20), 'Coffee and Colonialism in Angola', £48,000
- Scottish Funding Council GCRF small grant (2018/19), 'African Coffee Histories', £29,500
- Summer Research Grant, College of Arts and Letters, Old Dominion University (2015), $5,000
- Research Fellowship at the National Library of Portugal (2015), €2,000
- IGK “Work and Human Lifecycle in Global History” fellowship, Humboldt University (2012/13), €70,000
- Summer Research Grant, Old Dominion University (2011), $6,000
- Postdoctoral Grant, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (2008-09), €36,000
I am pleased to supervise all research projects broadly related to my expertise in the history of Africa and the Atlantic world.
José Nilo Bezerra Diniz, ‘Os mapas que fizeram Angola: desenhos e desígnios na produção cartográfica do sul de Angola (1785-1886)’, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, 2018. Studied the relationship between geography, cartography and empire in southern Angola before the European partitioning of Africa.
- Blyth, Christopher
The heterogeneity behind the homogeneous 'nation': how 'Greek' was the 'Greek War of Independence 1821-32'? An Examination of the cosmopolitan influences upon the movement for Greek independence between 1814 and 1821.
- Olaiya, Thajilah Asia Ali
African Lineage in the Danish West Indies: Amina People
The Atlantic slave trade, abolition and its aftermath in Africa, 1780-1910
Coffee, coke and chocolate: global ramifications of modern consumer cultures
Commodity histories in the Global South, 1500-2000