Dr Alexander Marshall
- Senior Lecturer (History)
Latest publication: Afghanistan: How the West Lost Its Way (Yale University Press, ISBN: 978-0300154573)
- Russian/Soviet military and political history
- The Caucasus and Central Asia
- Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Afghanistan
- Counter-Insurgency and Revolutionary War
- Drug smuggling and Marxist political economy
- 'Asian Security in Trans-National Perspective, 1800-2006' - one year grant from the British Academy (£2,000) commenced 1st January 2006.
- ‘Asian Security in Trans-National Perspective, 1800-200’ - one year grant (£400), Control Risks Group, commenced 1st March 2006.
- ‘Soviet Rule in the Caucasus’ - one year grant from the British Academy (£2,000) commenced 1st January 2008.
- Chancellor's Fund grant (University of Glasgow), 2011 (£2,000).
- Kelvin-Smith Fellowship (University of Glasgow), 2011.
- LINKSCH project (European Commission 7th Framework programme of research): Grasping the links in the chain - understanding the unintended consequences of international counter-narcotics measures for the EU.
- Jack Anderson (full-time MRes): The Stalin cult and the ideological rite of passage
- Allan Gillies (full-time PhD funded by a Kelvin Smith Studentship): Reducing the Flow of Cocaine into the UK? The politics of counter-drug measures on the Andean transit-chain, 2000-2010
- Steinar Skaar (full-time PhD funded by a scholarship from the Norwegian Defence University College): Does Coercive Theory Pass the Test? A theoretical Examination and Case Study of the Utility of Coercive Theory in Contemporary Conflicts with emphasis on the Afghan conflict
- Hamad, Sam
The Rise of Illiberalism in the Era of the Global War on Terror
- 'The Russian Empire, Expansion & National Identity, 1860-1953 '
- 'Russian/Soviet Conceptions of National Security in a Changing World, 1856 to the Present.’
- Honours Special Subject - 'Lenin and Leninism. History is not a Neutral Subject'
- Insurgency and Counter-Insurgency, 1800-Present (MLitt in War Studies)
- Member of editorial board Small Wars and Insurgencies
- Member of editorial team of the multi-volume centenary project ‘Russia's Great War and Revolution, 1914-1922: The Centennial Reappraisal’ (Project leaders Dr John W. Steinberg, Georgia Southern University and Dr Anthony Heywood, Aberdeen University).
- Organizer of the 'Study Group for the Russian Revolution' annual conference at Glasgow in January 2011 and 2012.