James McCune Smith Scholarships
The James McCune Smith Scholarships will fund Black UK students to undertake PhD research at the University, and will provide an enhanced experience through external mentors, placements, leadership training, community-building activities and networking opportunities.
The Scholarships are named after James McCune Smith, who graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1837 as the first African American to receive a medical degree.
- Your PhD research can be in any discipline
- The funding covers stipend and fees for up to four years
- You'll receive:
- a six-month placement with industry, a government or non-governmental organisation or other employer
- mentorship from outside academia to provide a broader perspective and network, in addition to the usual academic supervisors
- leadership training and community building activities
- support for conferences and other networking opportunities
First published: 18 October 2021