Ruairidh Salmon

After graduating from the School...

Since leaving Glasgow in 2015 I went on to Manchester University to study an MSc in Petroleum Geosciences (where I was awarded the Shell Prize for best overall student) and secured a position as a graduate geologist with Equinor.  I was hired into the Norway UK and Ireland Regional and Access exploration team which was a super exciting place to work and was recently promoted to a Senior Geologist position.

I have now taken up a role in the New Energy Solutions sector of Equinor, working within the hydrogen team on projects aiming to decarbonize the UK’s energy sector, focusing on the North of England as a pilot project.

What did you value about the degree?

It’s hard to quantify the value of your degree when you work as a geologist in your daily work, but clearly my career path would not be possible without it. I must say the broad geological knowledge, large scale process understanding and field experience that I gained during my degree at the University of Glasgow was invaluable, and I believe make me better at my job today.

Do you have any advice for prospective students?

My advice for future students would be work hard, think about what you want to do and the best path to get there, whether that be internships or further studies.