Professor Stephen McKinney
- Professor (Pedagogy, Praxis & Faith)
2017- Leader Research and Teaching Cluster, Pedagogy, Praxis and Faith
2013-2017 Leader Research Cluster Creativity, Culture and Faith
2012-2013 A/leader Research Cluster Creativity, Culture and Faith
2008-2010 HoD of Religious Education, University of Glasgow
2014- Professor, University of Glasgow
2008-2014 Senior Lecturer in Religious Education, University of Glasgow
1999- 2008 Lecturer in Religious Education, University of Glasgow
1997-1999 Lecturer in Religious Education, St Andrew’s College, Glasgow
1992-1997 Principal Teacher in Religious Education, John Paul Academy, Glasgow
1991-1992 Teacher in Religious Education, All Saints Secondary School, Glasgow
2018 Associate member: Irish Institute for Catholic Studies. 2018- Chair of Board of Directors, LSME. 2017-2020- Visiting Professor in Catholic Education, Newman University 2017-2018 - Poverty Truth Commission (Commissioner) 2014- Core member of CR&DALL
2013- Associate Robert Owen Centre for Educational Change
2005 - Honorary Research Fellow, Centre for Theology and Public Issues, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh
Catholic Schools; Catholic Education; History of Catholic Education; Faith Schooling; Religious Education; Sectarianism; Sectarianism and Faith schools; Poverty, deprivation and school education; Social Justice and Catholic schools.
- ‘Ideals’ Research Group (Department of Religious Education) 2000-2003
- AERS Learners, Learning and Teaching (Scottish Government) 2004-2009
- Teacher Development (Learning and Teaching Scotland) 2007
- Pupil Participation (Learning and Teaching Scotland) 2008
- Poverty and Education with Glasgow City Council 2009-present
- Portfolio of Integration (European Commission) 2011-2013
- Searching for Meaning (E. Fairbairn) 2011-2013
- Beyond Sectarianism with the Iona Community (Scottish Government) 2013-2015
- Schools Improvement Partnership Programme (Scottish Government) 2013-2014
- ALLMEET - addressing Multicultural Education and Tolerance in Russia 2014-2017
- Knowledge into Action (Scottish Government) 2014-2015
- Schools Improvement Partnership Programme (Scottish Government) Phase 2 2015-2017
- Scoping Study for Establishment of Knowledge City (British Council. Pakistan) 2015-2016.
McKinney, S. , Hall, S. , Lowden, K. , McClung, M. and Cameron, L. (2013) Supporting school leavers in areas of deprivation into initial positive leaver destinations. Improving Schools, 16(1), pp. 67-83. (doi:10.1177/1365480213476366)
McKinney, S.J. (2013) Religious intolerance: sectarianism. In: Bryce, T.G.K., Humes, W.M., Gillies, D. and Kennedy, A. (eds.) Scottish Education. Edinburgh University Press: Edinburgh, UK, pp. 883-892. ISBN 9780748645824
Stephen's research interests include Faith Schooling, Catholic Schooling, Religious Education, Sectarianism and Faith Schools, the impact of Poverty and Deprivation on School Education. He has published widely on these topics in journal articles and book chapters. He welcomes enquiries from Masters and Doctoral students seeking supervision in these topics.
He has examined Doctorates and Doctor of Education theses for the following universities: Institute of Education, University College London; University of Strathclyde; Glasgow Caledonian University; Australian Catholic University; Mater Dei Institute, Dublin; Hope University, Liverpool; The University of Notre Dame, Australia; University of Peshawar, Canterbury Christ Church University, University of Aberdeen and the University of Glasgow.
Current Doctoral Students
Beverley Friend: Relationship between the Government's anti-sectarian educational activities and the pupils and their communities (co-supervisor Professor Heather Walton).
Sean Huddleston: Sectarianism, Scottish Education and the Faith Schools Debate 1870-to present day: views, reasons and debates (student at University of West of Scotland; consulting supervisor).
Maxinne Connolly: Terror Management Theory: Transcending the body: Religious ritual surrounding the Body and it's symbolic buffer defence against Death Anxiety (co-supervisor Dr. Gijsbert Stoet).
Honor Hania: An investigation into the awareness, understanding and expressions of Catholic Social Teaching in Scotland (co-supervisor Julie Clague).
John Stoer: Reconsidering Roman Catholic religious education through the Church's teaching on inter-religious dialogue (co-supervisor Julie Clague).
Mary Lappin: Grief and Loss Education within a Faith Tradition (co-supervisor Georgina Wardle).
Students who have completed Doctorates
Tarsisio Nyatsanza: Developing a Transformative Approach to HIV/AID Education: An Analysis of Scotland and Zimbabwe (co-supervisor Professor J. Conroy).
Leonard Franchi: A critical exploration of the disctinction between catechsis and religious education in the magisterial documents of the Catholic Church: the theology of communion as a unifying bond between catechesis and religious education (co-supervisor: Professor Bob Davis).
Federico Zannoni: La societa della discordia. Prospettive pedagogiche per la mediazione e la gestione die conlitti (supervised field work in Scotland; Student at University of Bologna)
Raheleh Mir eslami: Critical thinking in religious education resources: A case study of four secondary schools in Scotland (Student at University of Edinburgh; co-supervisor Dr. Gale MacLeod).
Uriah Pond: Towards Transformative Learning on Short-Term International Study Tours: Incorporating Critical Reflection into Course Design (Doctor of Education).
Steve Younger: Religious Observance and Spiritual Development within Curriculum for Excellence (co-supervisor Professor Alison Phipps).
Wallace Dean Bursey: Meeting the Needs of Religious Learners in the Ontario Classroom (Doctor of Education).
Ahmed Abdullah: Investigating Iraqi Secondary School English Langauge Teachers' Pedagogical Practices (co-supervisors Lavinia Hirsu and Julie McAdam).
Stephen teaches on a wide range of programmes and courses. He teachers on the MA in Religious, Philosophical and Moral Studies: Morality and Belief in the 21st Century (year 2); Philosophy and Theology in Education (year 3); Faith, Philosphies and Contemporray Culture (year 4) and Dissertation (year 4) He also lectures at various stages of the MEduc (years 2 and years 4) and on the PGDE. He contributes to the ATQRE and the offsite CTC provision.
He supervises dissertations at undergraduate and postgraduate levels (Masters and Doctoral levels).
Professional activities & recognition
- 2010 - current: Journal of Beliefs and Values
- 2006 - 2017: Journal of Moral Education
- 2015 - current: Improving Schoools
- 2014 - current: Scottish Educational Review
- 2016 - current: Journal of values Education
- 2015 - current: Kazan Pedagogical Journal
- 2015: Ricerche di Pedagogia e Didattica. Guest editor for special edition.
Professional & learned societies
- 2016 - 2017: President, Scottish Educational Research Association
- 2014 - 2015: Vice President, Scottish Educational Research Association
- 2012 - 2018: Secretary, Association of University Lecturers in Religious Education
- 2018 - 2020: Chair, Association of University Lecturers in Religious Education
- 2016 - current: Treasurer, International Seminar In Religious Education and Values
- 2018 - current: Council Member, European Educational Research Association
- 2016 - current: Member Steering Group, Network for Researchers in Catholic Education
Selected international presentations
- 2017: Allmeet in Russia: Education and Tolerance for the Multicultural Society Keynote (Moscow, Russian Federation)
- 2016: FUM Conference Keynote (Reykjavik University of Iceland)
- 2018: International Conference on Responsible Research and Innovation In Science, Management and Education. Keynote (Panjab University, Chandigarh)
- 2018: Implementation and Challenges of Multicultural Education: What can Thailand Learn from the Experiences of the UK? Keynote (Mahidol University, Thailand)
- 2018: ISREV, XXII. Contemporary Perspectives and Contextual Challenges in Religious and Values Education. (Nuremberg, Germany)
- 2018: AME (Barcelona, Spain)
- 2019: Responsible Research and Innovation. Keynote (London)
Consulting and advice
- Associate Assessor HMIe (Scotland) 2008-2009
- Associate Assessor ETI (Northern Ireland) 2009-2010
- Academic Consultant: Religion in UK Directory 2007
- Advisor: Visions for Educational Leadership 2013-2014
- Reviewer for AHRC, 2007, 2009
- Reviewer for ESRC, 2017, 2019
- Reviewer for Church Universities Fund, 2017
- Reviewer for Culham St Gabriel's, 2014, 2018, 2019
- Book proposal reviewer: Routledge, Bloomsbury, Continuum, University of Toronto Press, Palgrave.
- Academic peer reviewer 2014-2019: British Journal of Religious Education; Journal of Philosophy of Education; Journal of Beliefs and Values; Journal of Research on Christian Education; Scottish Educational Review; Journal of Moral Education; FWU Journal of Social Sciences; School Leadership and Management; Improving Schools; Curriculum Review; Educational Review; Education Sciences; British Educational Research Journal; International Journal of Innovation in Education; Open Medicine Journal; Journal of Religious Education; Haripur Journal of Educational Research; Religions; European Educational Research Journal; London Review of Education; Forum for International Research on Education; International Journal of Christianity and Education; British Journal of Educational Studies; Citizenship, Social and Economics Education; Studies in the Social Sciences.
- External Examiner: PGCE Religious Education Programme, Newman College of Higher Education University of Leicester 2005-2009.
- External Examiner: PGCE Religious Education Programme, Roehampton University 2011-2015
- External Examiner: Religious Studies, St Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin 2011-2015
Academic and professional body membership
- General Teaching Council of Scotland (Mem no. 910379) 1991-
- International Seminar In Religious Education and Values (ISREV) 2003-
- Scottish Educational Research Association (SERA) 2004-
- Catholic Theological Association of Great Britain 2005-
- British Educational Research Association (BERA) 2003-2005; 2008-2009; 2014-2015
- Association of University Lecturers in Religion and Education 2009-
- Association of Moral Education 2012-
- International Forum of Researchers in Education 2014-
- Nordic Educational Research Association 2015-
- Association of University Lecturers in Religion and Education (member of Executive) 2009-
- Association of University Lecturers in Religion and Education (Secretary) 2012-2018
- Association of University Lecturers in Religion and Education (Chair) 2018-2021
- Scottish Educational Research Association (member of Executive) 2013-
- Scottish Educational Research Association (Vice President) 2014-2015
- Scottish Educational Research Association (President) 2015-2017
- Convenor Poverty and Education Network, SERA 2014-
- International Seminar of Religious Education and Values (Treasurer) 2016-
- Member of Council of European Educational Research Association, 2018-
Editorial role in academic Journals
- Journal of Moral Education (member of editorial board and UK reviews editor) 2006-2015
- Journal of Moral Education (member of editorial board) 2015-2017
- Journal of Beliefs and Values (member of editorial board) 2010-
- Scottish Educational Review (co-editor) 2013-2017
- Scottish Educational Review (member of editorial board) 2017-
- FWU Journal of Social Sciences (consulting editor) 2014-2018
- FWU Journal of Social Sciences (member of Advisory Board) 2018-
- Socio-economic and engineering systems: research, design and organization (member of editorial board) 2014-
- Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta druzhby narodov (Seriya informatizaciya obrazovaniya) (member of editorial board) 2014-
- Ricerche di Pedagogia e Didattica (guest editor - special edition) 2015
- Kazan Pedagogical Journal (member of international editorial board) 2015-
- Improving Schools (member of editorial board) 2015-
- Değerler Eğitimi Dergisi (member of International Advisory Board) 2016-
- Educazione Interculturale. Conflitti, Dialoghi e Progetti nella Globalizzazione 2017-
- Journal of Research on Christian Education (member of International Editorial Board) 2017-2019
- Haripur Journal of Educational Research 2017-
- Educação, escola e sociedade (Comitê Científico da revista). 2017-
- Studies in the Social Sciences Journal (member of editorial board). 2018-
- IJBST Journal Group (member of editorial board). 2019-