Dr Leonardo Franchi
- Lecturer (Pedagogy, Praxis & Faith)
Leonardo Franchi teaches on range of undergraduate courses and supervises masters / doctoral dissertations. He is a member of the Executive of the Association of Catholic Institutes of Education and Council member of the Scottish Catholic Historical Association. Leonardo is a Series Editor for Catholic Education Globally - Challenges and Opportunities (Springer) and Education and Integral Human Development (Catholic University of America Press).
Leonardo is also Professor of Catholic Education in the University of Notre Dame Australia.
Leonardo has made a significant scholarly contribution to the study of Catholic education. He has co-written and co-edited the Reclaiming the Piazza series. His scholarly interests include religious education, teacher formation and the potential of the liberal arts to shape higher education. He would be delighted to hear from prospective PhD students with an interest in the areas highlighted above.
NB: Please see our webpage on PhD studies for further information on how to apply for doctoral study at the University of Glasgow.
£10,000 from Porticus UK (Commercial Grant) to support academics from developing countries to attend the ACISE 2018 conference.
Leonardo welcomes applications for Masters and Doctoral supervision in areas related to Religion, Education and Culture.
Current Doctoral Research Supervision
- Religious Education and Inspection in Scottish Non-Denominational Schools, 1972-2017 (Stephen Scholes - PhD)
- Exploring the Charisms of Teaching Congregations (Christian Kendall-Daw, PhD)
- COVID-19, Professional Identity and International Baccalaureate Programme Teachers (Diane Ciacoi - Ed D)
- The Educational Charism of Mary Ward (Christian Kendall-Daw -PhD)
- To what extent are issues of professional identity essential for teachers in Catholic schools in Scotland in order to discharge effectively their responsibilities to the state and the Church? (Natalie Finnigan – PhD)
- Music and Religious Education (Clare Fodey - PhD)
- The Jesuit Charism in Education (Christiaan Hunt -PhD)
- A liberal perspective on Catholic Education (Cath Browne -PhD)
NB: Please see our webpage for information on how to apply for doctoral study at the University of Glasgow.
- Kendall-Daw, Christian
An examination of the extent to which teacher induction programmes in religious independent schools are anchored in the founding congregation’s charism.
- The Perceptions and Views of Cypriot Teachers about a Cosmopolitan Future in Education (Frangis Frangopoulos - Ed D)
- Music and Religious Education in Islam (Yusuf Ögretici - PhD)
- Supporting non-specialist teachers of Music (Julie Carrie - Ed D)
Recent Doctoral Examinations
- Foundations for Senior Leadership in Catholic Education: Sacred or Secular? (Gerard Gaskin, John Paul II Institute for Marriage and Family, Melbourne, Australia)
- Towards a New Approach for Teaching Religious Education in Catholic Schools (Anne-Marie Irwin, Notre-Dame University, Fremantle, Australia)
- ‘School-based career guidance programmes in junior colleges in Singapore: An interpretivist study. (He Jia Wen, University of Western Australia)
- Integral and Holistic Catechesis for Children in the Third Millennium (William O'Leary, Notre-Dame University, Fremantle, Australia)
- Teachers’ understanding of ‘Delivering Excellence and Equity in Scottish Education: A Delivery Plan for Scotland’ in an era of continuing curricular and assessment development: Developing excellence and equity or masking incoherence and inequality? (Rhona McFarlane, University of Glasgow, EdD)
- The Experiences that Form and Sustain Generation Y Religious Education Coordinators (Dirk Gleghorn, University of Notre Dame, Australia, Ed.D)
- A Cosmopolitan Defence of International Education (Kirsty Fuller, University of Glasgow, Ed.D)
Leonardo has many years experience of teaching in schools and universities. He currently teaches on a wide range of courses and is a supervisor for students on our PhD and EdD programmes.
From 2013 until 2020, Dr Franchi was the School of Education’s representative on the University’s Access to Education initiative. This involved a high level of engagement with senior school pupils who have expressed an interest in studying on an ITE programme at the University.
Professional activities & recognition
- 2019: Review of Religious Education, Formation and Theology
- 2017: Studia Pedagogica Ignatiana
- 2020: Educa-International Journal of Catholic Education
- 2020: Review of Religious Education, Formation and Theology
- 2022: Catholic Education Globally: Challenges and Opportunites, a Springer book series
- 2022: Education and Integral Human Development, a Catholic Education Press / Catholic University of America Press book series
Professional & learned societies
- 2019: Council Member, Scottish Catholic Historical Association
- 2019 - 2022: Academic Adviser, Academic Advisory Forum for the Reform of Religious Education in England and Wales
- 2016: Executive Member, Association of Catholic Institutes of Education
- 2015 - 2018: Executive Member, Scottish Catholic Education Service
Selected international presentations
- 2018: Keynote: Religious Education in a Change of Era (Australian Institute of Theological Education)
- 2017: Public Lecture:National Religious Education Conference (Pontifical University of Maynooth, Ireland)
- 2016: Keynote: Catholic Education as Public Theology (Radboud University, Holland)
- 2015: Public Lecture: Catholic Teacher Education: Preparing for Mission.” (St Mary's University College, Belfast)
1986 Master of Arts - MA (Hons)
1991 Post Graduate Certificate in Education - PGCE
1998 Master of Education - MEd
2007 Post Graduate Certificate in Education - PGCE (Academic Practice)
2013 Doctor of Philosophy - PhD
Academic and Professional Body Membership
- General Teaching Council of Scotland (since 1993)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (since 2008)
- Executive Member, Association of Catholic Institutes of Education (since 2016)
- Council Member, Scottish Catholic Historical Association (since 2019)
- Citywise Mentoring Ltd. (Trustee) (2014-2021)
- Foundation Director of the Mater Christi Multi-Academy Trust in Cumbria (2021-2023)