Mrs Kathleen Kerrigan
- Lecturer (Educational Leadership & Policy)
Kathleen Kerrigan is a lecturer in the School of Education and Programme Leader for the Postgraduate Certificate in Middle Leadership and Management in Schools.
Prior to joining the University of Glasgow in January 2018, she worked with the Scottish College for Educational Leadership (SCEL) where she was Development Officer responsible for SCEL’s online learning resource. As part of the SCEL team, Kathleen contributed to the development and delivery of leadership learning opportunities for educators across Scotland.
Kathleen taught in Scottish secondary schools for over twenty years, during this time she held middle leadership posts in Support for Learning and also in Home Economics. Her Masters thesis explored pupil perspectives of strategies used to support learning in mainstream schools and her current research interests include middle leadership and professional learning.
Kathleen contributed to local authority working parties to support the implementation of new curriculum and policy and collaborated with local authority colleagues to develop and deliver a twilight programme for teachers in Support for Learning & Inclusion.
Kathleen has delivered lectures, workshops and seminars for educators across Scotland with a particular focus upon Middle Leadership and SCEL's Framework for Educational Leadership. She is a committee member of the Scottish Professional Learning Network and is a Professional Learning Ambassador for the General Teaching Council for Scotland.
Kathleen's research interest include leadership for learning, the development of leadership capacity, leadership learning in initial teacher education, middle leadership, teacher professional learning.
She is currently completing a doctoral thesis exploring the perspectives of middle leaders working in secondary schools in Scotland, with a particular focus upon their professional learning.
Kathleen is currently co-supervisor of doctoral theses in the following areas:
- Principalship of high-performing primary and middle schools in southwest China’s urban area.
- Developing capacity to enhance quality in career and technical education in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Pupil perspectives of engaging in a health and wellbeing intervention in a Scottish secondary school
The influence of family learning on pupil engagement in a Scottish secondary school
Teachers' perspectives of iPad use in the primary school classroom
Factors contributing to better learning, better relationships and better behaviour in a Scottish primary school
Factors affecting the mental health and wellbeing of Scottish primary classroom teachers in the workplace
- LIU, Xipeng
High-performing Primary and Secondary Schools in Southwest China: Successful Principal Leadership and School Development
- Using digital technology to assess pupil learning.
- The use of Gibb’s reflective cycle in responding to close reading question types.
- Developing deep thinking skills in young people within the Broad General Education (BGE).
- Critical discourse analysis of Teaching Scotland's Future.
- Factors influencing girls to discontinue with STEM subjects in the senior phase.
- Maths Recovery: The impact of a targeted group recovery program on attainment in primary numeracy and mathematics.
- Teacher perspectives of leading collaborative learning in Chinese classrooms.
- Learning for Sustainability: A critical discourse analysis of aspects of current guidelines for schools in Scotland.
Master of Education in Educational Leadership
Developing as a Middle Leader
Leading Change for Improvement
Leading Professional Learning
Programme Leader: Postgraduate Certificate in Middle Leadership and Management in Schools
Master of Education with Teaching Qualification
Educational Elective: Leadership for Learning
What's The Point of Education? Constructing and Educational Mindset.
Post Graduate Diploma in Education
School Experience Tutor
Professional activities & recognition
Professional & learned societies
- 2018: Committee Member, The Scottish Professional Learning Network
- 2019: Full registration and Professional Learning Ambassador, The General Teaching Council for Scotland
- 2016: Member, The British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration Society
- 2016: Member, The International Professional Development Association
Academic and Professional Body Membership
- International Professional Development Association
- British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS)
- Committee member of the Scottish Professional Learning Network
- Full registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland
- Professional Learning Ambassador for the General Teaching Council for Scotland
Within the School of Education
- Member of the St Andrews Foundation for Catholic Teacher Education
- Complaints Investigator for the School of Education