Mrs Helen Martin
- Lecturer (Social Justice Place & Lifelong Education)
I have a strong background in community activism after spending many years campaigning in my local community . I returned to education as a mature student and gained my BA in Community Development and subsequent qualifications at the University of Glasgow.
I have held the post of Service Manager for a 3rd sector Community Development organisation and Development Officer for a national anti-poverty agency.
I currently teach on the BA (Hons) Community Development programme and contribute more broadly to the School of Education courses. In addition to this, I am the Programme Co-ordinator for Activate, which is the University’s Community-based introduction to Community Development practice for local community activists, volunteers and practioners.
I have a real passion for working with local communities in addressing in equality and injustice .
My research interests include:
- How formal /informal education impact on the non standard student and the impact this has on local communities.
- International collaboration research project looking at good practice examples of university /community civic engagement.
- Community Development approaches and its application in practice.
Blackpool Better Start - Baseline evaluation
- A study of Blackpools Centre for Early Child Developement - A Community Development approach (with Dr Sinead Gormally, Prof Avilla Killmurray and Mr Barry Knight)
Currently supervise 4th year Community Development dissertation students
Currently teaching on :
Introduction to Community Development - BA (Hons) Community Development Yr1
Engagement Stratigies for Community Development - BA (Hons) Community Development Yr1
Advanced Community Development Practice - BA (Hons)Community Development Yr 2
Local and Global issues (study trip) - BA (Hons) Community Development Yr2
Community Development Placement - BA(Hons) Community Development Yr3
MEd Adult education, Community Development and Youth work