How to submit expenses via Core (PDF)

The University’s finance and purchasing policies apply at all times.

When purchasing goods and services a Requisition and Purchase Order must be raised in advance, including purchasing card transactions.  Goods or services costing £100 or more initially require approval by the relevant Budget Holder but only a Purchasing Officer is authorised by the University to commit to the purchase, not individual members of staff.

The Purchasing Officers and Purchasing Card Holders in the School of Education are Eleanor Johnston and Rachel Thomas.

University Approved Suppliers must be used for relevant goods and services and where there is no Approved Supplier a quotation or tendering exercise should be undertaken according to the thresholds set out in the purchasing policy.

Time limit for claims

Claims must be made within TWO months of expense being incurred.

If your claim is from a Research Account which is coming to an end, it must be submitted one month before the end of the project. Any expenses claimed after the account is closed will not be paid.

Please note that accounts are now being closed promptly.

Purchase of equipment

A School Equipment Request Form should be completed for all new equipment requirements, and signed by the person making the request and by their line manager.  Externally funded items will be purchased routinely.  Requests to purchase items from General Finds will be reviewed at a monthly equipment meeting.  All equipment purchased by the University is considered to be a University Asset and will be recorded on the School’s Asset Register (including method of disposal at the end of its lifespan).

IT Equipment Policy

Equipment Requisition

You may not claim for goods and services which would be considered as operational, e.g. laptops, dvds, keyboards and stationery items.

These must be ordered through the School Purchasing Officer.


Payroll requires at least 7 days notice for a business expense advance. Any advance approved will be paid directly into your nominated bank account.

Within two months of receiving the advance you must submit to Payroll an Advance Expenses claim, with appropriate receipts. Any unspent advance will be deducted from your next salary payment.

No further advances will be made while a previous advance remains outstanding.


The University engages an Approved Supplier for travel although the actual travel agent may change from time to depending on the outcome of the tendering process.  Staff members should liaise with the travel agency to organise their travel requirements then contact a Purchasing Officer to raise a Purchase Order to secure the booking/price.  Our current agents are

Clarity (Domestic travel; hotel and conferencing bookings)

Email: uog@claritytm.co.uk
Phone: 0333 014 6080

Selective (International travel)

Email: uog@selective-travel.co.uk
Phone: 028 9044 2077

The university will not meet the cost of partners, family or friends who accompany you on a business trip, even when the travel cost would be repaid. The only exception to this is where it can be demonstrated that the costs have been incurred 'wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of the employee's duties'.

Car hire

Car hire must be arranged through the University's preferred supplier: Arnold Clark.

Private motor insurance

Employees using their own private cars on University business must ensure that they are licensed and sufficiently insured to permit their vehicle to be used for this purpose.

Car registration insurance documents must be uploaded onto Core expenses system before claims can be made for private mileage.

The University will not accept liability for any consequences arising from failure to do so.

Benefits in kind - employee entertainment

Where an event is held exclusively for employees, food and drink is provided free of charge, and the event is of a purely social nature, it must be held on University premises and the catering provided internally by Hospitality Services. This applies to all categories of social events including leaving/retirement parties and pre-holiday lunches. Where an event relates to an employee leaving or retiring from the University, the employee must have more than five years services for the costs to be met from School funds.

Where an event is held where employees and third parties are both provided with food and drink free of charge and the event is for business reasons, either internal or external providers can be utilised for the event. The ratio of employees to third party attendees should be no greater than three to one. If this ratio is exceeded (i.e. 4 employees to 1 third party individual) the event will be deemed to be for purely social purposes and subject to tax. As an event organiser, it is essential that you can prove your event is for business purposes. If an externally provided event is subsequently found to be for purely social purposes then a tax will be charged to the School.

Where more than one employee is in attendance, the highest ranked employee should settle the bill and make the appropriate expense claim. When claiming for external entertainment costs, please enter on Core the account code 40. You must also complete an External Entertainment form providing:

  • name and organisation of each person present
  • purpose of the entertainment
  • venue


The University does not reimburse employees for their personal subscriptions to professional bodies. Payment of such a subscription would be reportable to her majesty's Revenue & Customs as a Benefit-in-Kind.

You may claim tax relief for personal subscriptions direct from HM Revenue & Customs, as long as the professional body appears on their designated list.

Subscriptions to journals or periodicals required for School use must be arranged through the School Purchasing Officer and be approved in advance by the Head or Deputy Head of School.

Academic Visitors

Provided an employee is deemed to be an 'atypical worker', then travelling and subsistence costs 'necessarily' incurred in travelling in the performance of their duties will not be liable to tax. The term 'in the performance of' means that the expenses must be incurred in actually carrying out the duties of employment, for example this would not include home-to-work travel. If a university reimburses an employed lecturer for the costs of travelling from home to the University the payment is chargeable to tax. This is because the journey is not incurred in the course of the actual performance of the lecturer's duties.

View the full Atypical Workers policy on the HR website: Atypical Worker Policy & Procedure

Guest seminar speakers' expenses do NOT come under this category as they are not paid a fee and are not registered 'atypical workers'.


The Estates and Buildings Furniture and Equipment Recycling website (WARPit) should be the first port of call for any furniture requirements.




The University engages an Approved Supplier for temporary administrative staff although the actual temp agency may change from time to time depending on the outcome of the tendering process.   Where external funding is available or a General Funds budget has been agreed in principle, staff members should liaise with the agency then contact a Purchasing Officer to raise a Purchase Order. 

To engage freelance or self-employed individuals to provide services to the University HR should be consulted to determine the correct employment status and an appropriate rate of pay prior to any work being carried out.

Printers and Ink/Toner Cartridges

New printers and ink/toner cartridges can only be purchased using external funds or where exemption from the Pull-Printing system has been granted.  In all other cases Pull-Printing applies to all staff and students.  Any exemptions must be approved by Occupational Health.