BSc (Hons) Software Engineering (Graduate Apprenticeship)
The School of Computing Science is the first discipline within the University of Glasgow to embark upon Graduate Apprenticeships – new work-based-learning degree programmes offered in partnership with employers. We offer a four-year BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering (Graduate Apprenticeship) with options to specialise in areas including Data Science, Cybersecurity and Systems Engineering.
Our degree programme has been designed from the ground up in partnership with 25 companies and draws on global research on work-based learning best practice. The degree combines work-based learning with an intensive foundational course taught in blocks at the university over the first 18 months, followed by specialisation delivered through a day release model in the Honour’s years.
How do I get involved?
If you would like to speak to someone about applying for a GA in Software Engineering, or want to find out more about the content of the courses, please contact the Graduate Apprenticeship team:
To be kept informed of opportunities for employers around Graduate Apprenticeships at the University of Glasgow, please register your interest.
If you would like to speak with someone regarding GAs in Software Engineering for your business, please contact:
Claire Johnston, Employer Liaison Officer for Graduate Apprenticeships
What are the benefits for employers?
Partnering with the University of Glasgow offers a range of benefits:
- Access and shape new and existing talent
- A strong working relationship with the University
- Access the expertise of a world-leading research-intensive institution
- Apprentices that can specialise in their final years
- Front-loaded teaching makes apprentices productive sooner
- The University has an active widening participation scheme
- A dedicated team ensures excellent communication with partners
- Candidate shortlisting service available to support recruitment
- The fees associated with the degree programme are paid by Skills Development Scotland and the European Social Fund
What are the benefits for students?
As a Graduate Apprentice you are both a student with us and a paid employee with a partner company. Advantages of our degree programme include:
- Salary – The company pays you a living wage salary and there are no tuition fees
- Work Experience – Graduates have 4 years work experience, in addition to a University of Glasgow degree
- Student Experience – Campus based teaching blocks enable a more traditional student experience
- Specialise – Core material is covered in the first two years, enabling specialisation in Honours years
- Student Status – Full access to student services, accommodation, council tax exemption, etc.
- Application Process – Apply directly to companies, keeping your UCAS options open
- Separate Funding – Funded by Skills Development Scotland, leaving your SAAS funding intact