Dr Joseph Maguire
- Senior Lecturer (Computing Science)
Joseph Maguire is an Associate Professor in Computing Science within the School of Computing Science at the University of Glasgow working at the intersection of security, privacy and education. Member of the Centre for Computing Science Education (www.ccse.ac.uk) and previously visiting researcher at the Centre of Advanced Security Research in the Technische Universitat Darmstadt (SICSA, 6K) as well as the Security, Privacy, Adaptation & Requirements Engineering group in Lero, the Science Foundation Ireland Research Centre for Software at the University of Limerick. He is interested in the theory and application of computing systems as well as their impact on individuals and society in terms of security, privacy and education. He has made contributions to several leading national and international venues, both in security and education, including CEP, LASER, UKICER, ICER, STAST, CHI as well as EuroS&P. He is committed to supporting colleagues and students in achieving their best work, having served as General and Programme Chair for the United Kingdom and Ireland Computing Education Research (UKICER) conference, leader of the Engaging and Active Security Education (EASE) workshop, active board member of the United Kingdom ACM Special Interest Group in Computer Science Education as well as providing sustained academic service to a number of leading venues. Recent grants include the design of an innovative work-based learning programme in Scotland (Skills Development Scotland, 200K) with outcomes presented to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
Personal website: www.josephmaguire.co.uk
Maguire, J. and Draper, S. (2017) Privacy of Personal Things in Active Learning Spaces Need Individually Evolved Requirements. In: SafeThings '17, Deflt, Netherlands, 05 Nov 2017, ISBN 9781450355452 (doi:10.1145/3137003.3137009)
Renaud, K., Zimmermann, V., Maguire, J. and Draper, S. (2017) Lessons Learned from Evaluating Eight Password Nudges in the Wild. In: The LASER Workshop: Learning from Authoritative Security Experiment Results, Arlington, VA, USA, 18-19 Oct 2017, pp. 25-37. ISBN 9781931971416
Gutmann, A., Renaud, K., Maguire, J. , Mayer, P., Volkamer, M., Matsuura, K. and Muller-Quade, J. (2016) ZETA - Zero-Trust Authentication: Relying on Innate Human Ability, not Technology. In: 1st IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy, Saarbrucken, Germany, 21-24 Mar 2016, pp. 357-371. ISBN 9781509017515 (doi:10.1109/EuroSP.2016.35)
Renaud, K. and Maguire, J. (2015) Regulating Access to Adult Content (with Privacy Preservation). In: CHI 2015, Seoul, Korea, 18-23 Apr 2015, pp. 4019-4028. ISBN 9781450331456 (doi:10.1145/2702123.2702456)
Academic roles & responsibilities
- 2021 - (ongoing): Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching.
- 2017 - (ongoing): Cognate Board of Studies Member, School of Chemistry.
- 2018 - (ongoing): Academic Representative for James McCune Smith Learning & Teaching Hub Client Group.
- 2019 - (ongoing): School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Heriot Watt University.
- 2018 - (ongoing): Cyber System Forensics M
- 2016 - (ongoing): Enterprise Cyber Security M
- 2016 - (ongoing): Professional Skills & Issues H
- 2015 - 2018: Human Centred Security M
- 2015 - 2016: IT Architectures M
- 2014 - 2016: Enterprise Computing M
Professional activities & recognition
Professional & learned societies
- 2018 - (ongoing): Board Member, UK Special Interest Group in Computer Science Education (UKSIGCSE)
- 2018 - (ongoing): Professional Membership, Special Interest Group in Computer Science Education (SIGCSE)
- 2015 - (ongoing): Professional Membership, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)