Dr Chee Kiat Seow
- Assistant Professor (University of Glasgow Singapore)
- Assistant Professor (School of Computing Science)
Chee Kiat , Lawrence, has obtained his MSc and PhD at National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) respectively. Before moving into academic and research landscapes, he was once the senior consultant/programme manager and system architect at Defence Science Technology Agency (DSTA) and STE Electronics, Singapore respectively to architect and lead a programme of engineers to revolutionise , instrument the concept and implementation of various wireless communications infrastructure, network and security projects valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
While he was the senior research fellow at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) he has lead a team of researchers and instrumental in bringing his PhD research topics in indoor localization using wireless Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) multipath components under GPS denied canopy into reality and has won him various international industry competitions such as the National Instruments (NI) Engineering Impact Awards and software license. He has published in various top journal, conferences proceeding and a book on localization and physical security research using various signal processing and artificial intelligence(AI)/machine learning methodology. His recent work on cyber physical security on the Spoofing attack on GPS and 5G Drone has also won him a IEEE conference best paper award.
For teaching, he has also been nominated and awarded with various Best Teaching Excellence Award in various occasion. During his role as a senior lecturer at the Nanyang Technological University, his teaching focus is on information security, enterprise network design and security, digital signal processing system and software engineering. Currently, his teaching focus is Big Data and Data Analytcis.
Research forte are primarily in three areas, mainly the cyber physical security, localization/navigation with wireless communication system and Internet of Things (IoT) using Machine learning (ML) or Artificial Intelligence methodology (AI)
In the areas of cyber physical security, the research is dwell into
1) Spoofing detection and anti-spoofing countermeasure of various wireless communication system and Internet of Things (IoT) such as drone , autonomous vehicle. Using artificial intelligence/machine learning to exploit the vulnerability and countermeasure to enhance the confidentiality, integrity, availability and authentication of the information for GPS, 5G cellular wireless communications and IoT devices against various side channel attacks. Application of Blockchain technology for IoT and security against quantum attack are also are researched and explored.
2)Application of computer vision/image AI/ML such as video summarization deep learning to detect abnormality in video on terrorism and fake news detection
In the area of generation & localization of wireless communication system,
1)novel exploitation of existing EM wave and new generation of EM wave such as the twisted EM wave, which spin helically in propagation and promises huge bandwidth data transmission and security. Application of these EM waves is leverage in terms of controlled secure tracking and localization of objects and people in the urban built area such as shopping malls and indoor environments where the prevalent Global PositioningSystem (GPS) signals cannot penetrate into the canopy/building or its accuracy is in doubt.
2)Light wave Li-Fi for positioning and navigation
1)GNSS Signal Authentication for Users of High Precision GNSS Positioning, TRANS GRANT Prime Minister Office(PMO)/GOVTECH~$797k 2021-2022, Principal Investigator
2)Wireless Spoofing and Cyber Attack and CounterMeasure, S$60k , 2018, Principal Invesigator
3)A peer-to-peer non-line-of-sight localization system scheme in GPS-denied scenarios, US Airforce AOARD, US$140k, 2012-2014, Co-Principal Investigator
1) Calling for suitable candidate, PhD , "Big Data 5G/GNSS AI "
2) Wen Kai, PhD (Current), " RSS Indoor Localization and Tracking with INS Assistance",
3) Zhang Heng, PhD (Jan 2019) , " TOA Based Localization and Tracking in Indoor Multipath Environment" , Nanyang Technological University, Co-Supervision
4) Zhang Ren Yu, MSc (2018), " Spoofing attack of Drone",
5) Chen Si Wen , PhD (2015) , " Non-Line-of-Sight Localization in Multipath Environment" , Nanyang Technological University, Co-Supervision
3)Fundamental of Programming
1. Senior Member, IEEE Signal Processing and Computer Society
1. Machine Learning for Conditioning Monitoring for IIoT, ARTC, National Instruments & Nimble Focus.
1)IEEE PIERS, June 2019: Best Student Paper on "RF and Network Signature-based Machine Learning on Detection of Wireless Controlled Drone"
2)IEEE International Conference on Computer and Communications , Dec 2018 : Best Paper Presentation Award on "Spoofing Attack of Drone"
2)National Instruments 2016 Engineering Impact Awards ASEAN/ANZ Regional Contest
3)National Instruments 2015 Engineering Impact Awards ASEAN Regional Contest Academic Winner
4)National Instruments 2015 Engineering Impact Awards ASEAN Regional Contest RF and Communications Winner