Dr Michael Kho Lim
- Lecturer in Creative Industries and Cultural Policy (Theatre, Film & Television Studies)
My career trajectory lies at the intersection of industry and academia. I have an extensive experience in the management of cultural and creative industries—assuming various leadership roles such as being a film producer, executive director, general manager, and holding creative and managerial positions in content writing and editing for different publications. I also have several years of university teaching in the Philippines, Australia, and the UK—leading modules and coordinating units on screen production, media entrepreneurship, cultural economy and sustainable development among others.
My research interests include Asian cinema, independent filmmaking, film distribution and exhibition, cultural economy, and the broader area of cultural and creative industries.
I am the author of Philippine Cinema and the Cultural Economy of Distribution (Palgrave Macmillan, 2019) and co-author of The Media Kit: A Frame-by-Frame Guide to Visual Production (Anvil Publishing, 2008).
My co-edited volumes include Re-imaging Creative Cities in 21st-Century Asia (with Xin Gu and Justin O’Connor; Palgrave Macmillan, 2020) and Sine ni Lav Diaz: A Long Take on the Filipino Auteur (with Parichay Patra; Intellect Ltd. and DLSU Publishing House, 2021).
- 2023: “Towards a Creative Old Town District: A process evaluation study of the creative district development of Sakon Nakhon in Northeastern Thailand,” Scotland Asia Partnerships Higher Education Research (SAPHIRE) Fund, Royal Society of Edinburgh
- 2018-2019: "Philippine Cinema after Cinemalaya: State of the Sector Report," National Commission for Culture and the Arts (Philippines)
- 2005: "Media Kit: A Learner-Centered Video Production Cycle Course, Teacher’s Guidebook, Student Workbook with CD-ROM"
I welcome applications from MPhil and PhD students who wish to undertake research in:
- (Southeast) Asian cinema
- independent filmmaking
- film distribution and exhibition
- media and cultural policy
- cultural/creative economy
- other areas of cultural and creative industries (such as creative spaces, creative entrepreneurship) especially in the context of the global south
I also welcome practice-based/-led PhD applications.
- Amey, Rob
A practise-based enquiry into the utilisation and integration of online communities, virtual reality and non-fungible tokens through contemporary film, animation, photography and performance.
Creative Industries and Cultural Policy Dissertation
Professional activities & recognition
Professional & learned societies
- 2020 - 2022: Assistant Secreatry, National Committee on Cinema, National Commission for Culture and the Arts (Philippines)
Member, Talent Peer Review College, UK Research and Innovation
Industry Advisory Board Member, Creative Economies Hub, Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities Knowledge Exchange Hubs
Editorial Advisory Board Member, Arts and the Market, Emerald Publishing
Former Assistant Secretary, National Committee on Cinema, Sub-commission on the Arts of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (Philippines)