Dr Iain Findlay-Walsh
- University Lecturer (Music)
Experimental music production and composition, auditory immersion and virtual reality, first-person field recording, spatiality and virtuality in record production, personal listening, emerging music formats and technologies, soundscape composition and intimacy, sonic and textual autoethnography, sound-based research methodologies.
Iain Findlay-Walsh / Klaysstarr is an experimental music producer, composer and researcher whose work combines field recording and studio production with autoethnographic methods to research personal listening. His practice research explores aural and spatial perception, music reception, virtuality and selfhood. Outputs include sound installations, multichannel audio works, text scores, and spatial audio pieces for stereo headphones. Scholarly research engages with auditory reception and perception, first-person field recording, spatiality and virtuality in record production, sonic and textual autoethnography, and sound-based research methodologies.
- 2014 Kenneth Elliot Postgraduate Scholarship
- 2010 Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust Award
- Sound Shaping and Design
- Field Recording, Sound and Place
- Experimental Music Practice
- Virtuality, Sound and Music
- Sound Art Aesthetics and Criticism
- Dissertation supervision
- Doctoral supervision
- Co-director: Immersive Experiences Lab - Virtual Reality in Arts and Humanities Research
- Board Member: UoG XR Strategy Group
- Member: SCCA EDI committee
- Member: BMus admissions committee
- Convenor, RMA Research Colloquia in Music series 2018-19
List of works:
- Listener Music 1 & 2 (2021) - text score / spatial audio work - Tectonics Festival (commission)
- Doomzoming++ (2021, with Zoming Flakes, performer/producer) - digital - self-release
- More No Place (2020) - digital/online - Outlet Archival / Tectonics online
- w/hair ph<> n mus|x (2019) - CD / digital album, Entr’acte / uCorridor.
- Auto travelin thru flay flux fusion land holdn sum cakes i done in free time so wot? (2017) - Digital album, ucorridor Recs.
- Faux départs 5 (2017) - Fixed media composition, commission for Radiophrenia, Glasgow.
- Topman Bag (2016) - Cassette release / exhibition, Good Press Gallery.
- The Closing Ceremony / Eternal Gratitude (2016) - 5.1. multichannel soundscape composition. Performed at IFIMPAC Leeds, UNFIX Glasgow, SEIF Zagreb.
- Its Terminal (2016 – with In Posterface) - Cassette / digital release, Winning Sperm Party.
- Somehere In (2014) – Audiovisual composition for smartphone, Instructional Media.
- 1 (2013 – with In Posterface) - Cassette / digital release, Winning Sperm Party.
- Absolutely the best ABBA since ABBA (2012) - Six track album CDr release, Unverified Records.
- Only Ur Pre Formance is Cult (2012 – with Amanda Monfrooe) - commissioned performance, for Episode 2: A Special Form of Darkness, Arika, Glasgow.
- Postface (2011) - Eight track CDr / digital release, uCorridor / Never Come Ashore.
- Postface 1, 2, 3 (2010) - Commissioned performance, for Instal, Glasgow.
- Not With Music (2010) - Multi-media installation, for Arches Live! Glasgow.
- A No Place (2010) - CDr / digital release, Unverified Records.
- Horroh (2008) - CDr / digital release, Kovorox Sound.
- You Got Me Fraiche (2002 – with Lapsus Linguae) - CD release, Fierce Panda Records.
- Parade! (2001 – with Lapsus Linguae) - CD single release, Fierce Panda Records.