Dr Iain Findlay-Walsh
- University Lecturer (Music)
Field recording and narrative, sound art and soundscape composition, experimental composition, auditory immersion and virtual reality, phonography and urban soundscape, record production and personal listening, emerging music formats, autoethnographic music practices, emerging audio technologies and reception contexts.
Iain Findlay-Walsh / Klaysstarr is a sound artist, composer and researcher whose work combines field recording and studio production with autoethnographic methods. He is interested in exploring and making connections between sound, space and personal agency, and in recasting his own everyday listening experiences as immersive encounters with augmented sonic realities. His work ranges across installation, performance, fixed-media and multichannel composition and includes presentations across the UK and Europe, including at Glasgow International, Experimentica and Counterflows festivals, as well as commissions from Tectonics, Arika and Radiophrenia. His releases are available across numerous labels and formats, most recently on Entr’acte, Antwerp (2019). His research on sound and listening has been presented across the UK, Europe and in the USA, and his writing on soundscapes and auditory perception is published through the Organised Sound journal. He teaches composition, experimental practice and sound art, while co-directing the Immersive Experiences Lab on Virtual Reality in Arts and Humanities Research, and curating the spatial audio event series, INTER-. In addition to his activities as a sound artist, Iain regularly performs as an improviser and multi-instrumentalist, most recently with experimental metal collective Zoming Flakes. He was previously an instigator and agitator in improvising noise/pop group In Posterface and with notorious prog-punk maximalists Lapsus Linguae.
- 2014 Kenneth Elliot Postgraduate Scholarship
- 2010 Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust Award
Samantha Talbot - No Fixed Abode: Exploring The Album and Beyond
Donna Matthews - practice-research portfolio
- Talbot, Samantha
No Fixed Abode: The Album and Beyond
- Experimental Music Practice
- Sound Shaping and Design
- Field Recording, Sound and Place
- Virtuality, Sound and Music
- Sound Art Aesthetics and Criticism
- Dissertation supervision
- Co-director: Immersive Experiences Lab - Virtual Reality in Arts and Humanities Research
- BMus admissions committee member
- Convenor, RMA Research Colloquia in Music series 2018-19
List of works:
- w/hair ph<> n mus|x (2019) - CD / digital album, Entr’acte / uCorridor.
- Auto travelin thru flay flux fusion land holdn sum cakes i done in free time so wot? (2017) - Digital album, ucorridor Recs.
- Faux départs 5 (2017) - Fixed media composition, commission for Radiophrenia, Glasgow.
- Topman Bag (2016) - Cassette release / exhibition, Good Press Gallery.
- The Closing Ceremony / Eternal Gratitude (2016) - 5.1. multichannel soundscape composition. Performed at IFIMPAC Leeds, UNFIX Glasgow, SEIF Zagreb.
- Its Terminal (2016 – with In Posterface) - Cassette / digital release, Winning Sperm Party.
- Somehere In (2014) – Audiovisual composition for smartphone, Instructional Media.
- 1 (2013 – with In Posterface) - Cassette / digital release, Winning Sperm Party.
- Absolutely the best ABBA since ABBA (2012) - Six track album CDr release, Unverified Records.
- Only Ur Pre Formance is Cult (2012 – with Amanda Monfrooe) - commissioned performance, for Episode 2: A Special Form of Darkness, Arika, Glasgow.
- Postface (2011) - Eight track CDr / digital release, uCorridor / Never Come Ashore.
- Postface 1, 2, 3 (2010) - Commissioned performance, for Instal, Glasgow.
- Not With Music (2010) - Multi-media installation, for Arches Live! Glasgow.
- A No Place (2010) - CDr / digital release, Unverified Records.
- Horroh (2008) - CDr / digital release, Kovorox Sound.
- You Got Me Fraiche (2002 – with Lapsus Linguae) - CD release, Fierce Panda Records.
- Parade! (2001 – with Lapsus Linguae) - CD single release, Fierce Panda Records.