Dr Dominic Paterson
- Lecturer (History of Art)
Office Hour: Monday 4-5pm
- Methodological, historiographic, and aesthetic issues raised by the application of Michel Foucault’s work to the discipline of art history
- The appropriation, citation and reanimation of avant-garde / neo-avant-garde strategies and objects within contemporary artartistic and theoretical interventions within ‘the politics of the body’post-war American art
Working closely with Glasgow International Festival of Visual Art 2010, Dr Paterson organised and introduced a series of talks and film screening events which expanded upon the Festival's theme of ‘past, present, future’. Participating artists included Susan Phillipsz, Gerard Byrne and Jimmie Durham, and films by Byrne, Kate Davis, Marjolijn Dijkman, Johan Grimonprez, Marine Hugonnier, Jeremy Millar, and Hito Steyerl were screened.
- Body art; American art c.1945-present (Undergraduate)
- The changing relationship between medium and meaning in 20th-century artistic practice (Undergraduate)
- Art, Embodiment, Transgression (MLitt Art, Politics, Transgression: 20th Century Avant-Gardes)
- Art in the Making: Modern and Avant-Garde Techniques (MLitt Making & Meaning: Approaches in Technical Art History)
- Convenor, Honours Dissertation
- Chair, Steering committee, AAH 2010 Conference (08-09, 09-10)
- Honorary Associate Member, Glasgow Sculpture Studios
Exhibition and book reviews
‘Mircea Cantor,’ MAP, (No. 21, Spring 2010)
The Enlightenments, MAP, (No. 20, Winter 2009/10)
‘Phil Collins/Bruce Nauman,’ MAP, (No. 19, Autumn 2009)
‘Claire Barclay,’ MAP, (No. 18, Summer 2009).
‘Gest: Laboratory of Synthesis,’ MAP, (No. 17, Spring 2009).
‘David Bellingham,’ MAP, (No. 16, Winter 2008/2009).
‘Michael Stumpf,’ MAP, (No. 15, Autumn 2008).
‘Lucy Skaer,’ MAP, (No. 15, Autumn 2008).
‘Group: Claire Barclay/Neil Clements/Sally Osborn/Jonathan Owen/Sara Barker/Albrecht Schäfer,’ exhibition review, MAP, (No. 14, Summer 2008).
Selected Conference Papers, Guest Lectures
I have given papers at the University of Edinburgh, UCC Cork, NCAD Dublin, The Hungarian University of Fine Arts, amongst others.
‘Johan Grimonprez’s Double Take: If You Meet Your Double You Should Kill Him,’ dialogue with Dr Fabien Hillfisch, Fruitmarket Gallery, 9 June 2010
Keynote lecture on Jimmy Robert, 'Art, Performance, Film' postgraduate conference, University of Glasgow,21 May 2010
‘The excuse of a fiction…’ Lecture on Gayle Chong Kwan’s 'Obsidian Isle', Ricefield Arts/Trongate 103, Glasgow, 7 April 2010
‘Mircea Cantor: Which Light Kills You,’ The Common Guild, Glasgow, 23 January 2010
‘Roni Horn: The Tiniest Piece of Mirror is Always the Whole Mirror,’ The Common Guild, Glasgow, 27 June 2009
‘Negotiating Autonomy: directions in recent Scottish Art’ Doctorate School, Hungarian University of Fine Arts, Budapest, 21 April 2009
‘Body Images and Imagined Bodies: thoughts on feminist art practice,’ Deveron Arts, Huntly, 28 March 2009
(Chair) ‘Claire Barclay: Dysfunctional Objects,’ symposium, Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh, 20 March 2009
‘ “Great works wait”: postproduction, repetition and citation in contemporary art,’ Doctorate School, Hungarian University of Fine Arts, Budapest, 14 May 2008
‘Selected Details: matter and memory in Barney, Parker and Starling’, National College of Art and Design, Dublin, 6 December 2007