Professor Dimitris Eleftheriotis
- Professor of Film Studies (Theatre, Film & Television Studies)
Head of School
World cinema; film theory; transcultural aspects of cinema; travelling, displacement and movement in film; film and cosmopolitanism; film aesthetics; Greek culture & cinema.
Beginning his academic life as a student of Physics at the University of Athens Dimitris became a member of the University’s filmmaking group. He then studied Film and Literature at the University of Warwick graduating with a BA(Hons) in 1985. He completed his PhD on New Technologies in Film and Television at the John Logie Baird Centre (Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde). He held academic appointments at Athens and Liverpool before taking up his current post at Glasgow in 1997.
Dimitris is an Editor of Screen and of the Journal of Greek Media and Culture.
- 'Narrative Cinema in Cultures of Censorship: Politics, Aesthetics, Memory.'
- ‘The Spanish Civil War in Cinema’
- 'Representation of US characters in civil war films'
- 'Developing Cinematic Culture: A South American Case Study.'
- ‘The Creation of “New Greek Cinema”’
- 'The Cinematic Construction of the Irishman’
- ‘Film in Contemporary Art’
- ‘Language in European Cinema’
- ‘The Spanish Civil War in Film’
- ‘Deleuze and Film Theory’
- ‘Film in contemporary art’
- ‘Gender in Hollywood Comedies’
- ‘Politics and history in recent Pakistani film and television’
- ‘Bad film’
- ‘Representations of migrants in Greek Cinema’
- 'Giallo and gender'
- ‘Space in Hungarian and Romanian Cinema’
- ‘The films of Nicos Nikolaidis’
- ‘Bhojpuri Cinema’
- ‘Subtitles in contemporary Chinese Cinema’
- Bin Mohamad Affendi, Muhammad Amin
Nationalism and multiculturalism in Malaysian Cinema
- Khan, Zahid
Discourse on Gender, Religion and Culture in Documentary Films Produced by Female Filmmakers
- Ouyang, Jingmei
Representations of China in Transnational Documentary Cinema
- Zhou, Yu
Reminding the history of pain: A comparative study between films about the Nanking Massacre and the Holocaust
- Editor of Screen
- Member, Editorial Board of Journal of Greek Media and Culture
- Member, Editorial Board of Portal
- Member, Advisory Editorial Board of Filmicon: Journal of Greek Film Studies
Invited guest editor of special issues:
- Contemporary Greek Culture, special issue of Interactions: Studies in Communication & Culture, vol. 3, no. 2; with Lydia Papadimitriou and Dimitris Papanicolaou
- Contesting Euro Visions, special issue of Portal, vol. 4, no. 2 (October 2007); with Murray Pratt & Ilaria Vanni, 147 pages
- Indian Cinema Abroad: Transnational Historiography of Cinematic Exchanges, special issue of South Asian Popular Culture, vol. 4, no. 2, October 2006; with Dina Iordanova
Dimitris was involved in the production of two award-winning films in Greece (Nilo, 1979, The Dream Factory, 1990).