Dr Yee Kwan Tang
- Senior Lecturer (Management)
Kwan joined the University of Glasgow in 2011. She holds a PhD degree in Management (University of Glasgow), a MEd in Higher Education Teaching and Learning (University of Glasgow), an MBA degree with distinction (University of Manchester), a BA (Hons) degree (Chinese University of Hong Kong), and a BBA degree (University of South Australia).
Kwan has over 15 years of postgraduate work experience, with nearly 10 years in areas of project management, financial management, and operational systems design and development in manufacturing and service multinationals. Before joining the University of Glasgow, she worked for the United Nations Conference for Trade and Development (UNCTAD) in Geneva, Switzerland. Specifically, she supported the entrepreneurship and innovation programme run by UNCTAD (EMPRETEC) and the design of its business linkages programme that prepares small and medium-sized enterprises in developing countries to partner with large corporations. She also worked as an assistant professor in international business at the Chinese campus of the University of Nottingham. Kwan has served as an academic and technical advisor of a number of business projects on the business development and internationalisation of new and small ventures in high-technology and traditional industries.
Kwan is a member of the School's International Business and Enterprise research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Internationalisation of SMEs
- Entrepreneurship and enterprise development in developing countries
- International business strategy
- Networks in business development
- Innovate UK Energy Catalyst. ‘A Self-contained Solar-Hydro Micro Power Plant for Uninterrupted Supply in All Weather Conditions’, 2020-2021. £290,000 (UK Co-I).
- GCRF, Scottish Funding Council, Small Grants Fund, 2018, £27,620 (Co-investigator, with Chong Li - Principal Investigator - School of Engineering, University of Glasgow).
- ESRC - Global Challenge Research Fund (GCRF) - Impact Acceleration Accounts (IAAs), 2016, £13K (Principal investigator).
- ESRC - Impact Accelerate Account Early User Engagement Fund, 2016, £5K.
- British Academy/Leverhulme Trust Small Research Grant, 2013, £10K (Principal investigator, with Dr. Victor Konde, UNECA, Ethiopia, and ATDF Entrepreneurship Hub, Zambia; and Professor Stephen Young, ASBS).
- The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland research grant, 2013, £2.2K (Principal investigator, with Dr Victor Konde, UNECA, Ethiopia, and ATDF Entrepreneurship Hub, Zambia; and Professor Stephen Young, ASBS).
- Adam Smith Research Foundation Seedcorn Funding, 2012, £2K (Principal investigator, with Dr Victor Konde, UNECA, Ethiopia, and ATDF Entrepreneurship Hub, Zambia; and Professor Stephen Young, ASBS).
- Seedcorn Funding, Department of Management, University of Glasgow, 2008, £1.5K (Investigator, with principal investigator Professor Stephen Young, and co-investigator Professor Pavlos Dimitratos).
Kwan is interested in supervising doctoral research on internationalisation and international business strategy of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises; social and business networks in business development; entrepreneurship and enterprise development in developing country contexts; and business environment and firm development in China.
Current PhD students
- Li, Zhengyu
Influence of CSR on Chinese enterprises' outbound investment.
- Mirza, Ahmed
The Impact of Formal and Informal Institutions on Total Entrepreneurial Activity (a neo-institutional theory approach)
- Wang, Zejin
Innovation Policy, State Ownership and Firms’ International Innovation Performance: A Case Study of Chinese Semi-conductor Firms
- Zhang, Kun
Compositional Capabilities and Emerging-Market Ordinary Companies: An Exploratory Study
- Zhao, Jinbang
The impact of networking ties and family involvement on the strategic decision and innovation of SMEs in China
- Zhou, Xiaofei
Exploring the Role of Social Capital in Promoting Knowledge Transfer: Evidence from International Collaboration in China's Pharmaceutical Sector
- Programme Convenor of MSc in Finance and Management
- Co-ordinator of International Management Solutions (IMS) Projects, MSc in International Business
- Co-ordinator and Lecturer of MSc in Finance and Management Dissertation Workshop
- Course Convenor and Lecturer of International Business Strategy for Multinational Enterprises, MBA elective course
- Lecturer of International Business and Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies, PG specialist programmes (F&M and IB) elective course
- UG, PG and MBA Dissertation Supervisor
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy, UK
External Knowledge Exchange and Network Building
- External Examiner of MSc in International Business and Emerging Markets, University of Edinburgh
- Technical Advisor of project entitled “Accelerate Identification and Realization of Agri-business Opportunities (AIRBO)” (2015-2017, CAD464,200). A component of Cultivate Africa’s Future (CultiAF) programme of Expanding Business Opportunities for African Youth in Agricultural Value Chains in Southern Africa, financially supported by Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada.
- Founding members of African Innovation Research Network (AIRNET)
Contributor to external research
- A Survey of Information Firms in Zambia. AEH Development Institute, 2018
- UNECA (2014) African Science, Technology and Innovation Review 2013. UNECA. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- UNCTAD (2010) Creating Business Linkages: A Policy Perspective. United Nations. New York and Geneva