Dr Jaylan Azer
- Lecturer in Marketing (Management)
Dr Jaylan Azer is a Lecturer in Marketing at Adam Smith Business School. She holds a PhD in Marketing from the University of Strathclyde. Previously, she was a Lecturer in Marketing at Edinburgh Napier University (2017-2019). Her academic interests are complimented by her 15 years practical experience including senior management roles in Retail Banking.
Jaylan's current research interest focuses within the services domain on the complementary concepts of actor/customer engagement, value co-creation and Service-dominant Logic (SDL). Within this domain, Jaylan has a focus on consumer behaviour and its impact in digital contexts, especially social online networks. Her research has been published in Marketing and Service journals of high impact factor including Journal of Service Management, Journal of Marketing Management and Journal of Services Marketing. Jaylan is an ad-hoc reviewer for well-established Services and Marketing Journals and Conferences.
Jaylan's research has a solid practical impact exemplified in recent projects with Visit Scotland and Scottish Tourism Alliance. Currently, she is working on a project based on her research in service management, consumer behavior and social media marketing with the Outer Hebrides Tourism. This project involves nineteen independent food outlets located in the Isle of Harris, Uist and Barra. Also, her research attracts opportunities for Knowledge Exchange exhibited in several invitations to participate as a keynote speaker in public events. Jaylan has actively involved in executive training in Social Media Marketing and Customer Relationship Management with leading Scottish, Egyptian and multinational companies from various sectors.
Jaylan teaches and leads a variety of marketing modules, which relate closely to her research interests.
Jaylan is a member of the School's Marketing research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Services marketing
- Actor/customer engagement
- Consumer Behavior
- Digital Marketing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Service-dominant Logic (SDL)
- Value Co-creation
- £1260 Edinburgh Napier Business School Research Funding Competition - awarded 2019
- £6000 British Federation of Women Graduates (BFWG)- awarded 2018
- £1500 Napier’s Research Travel Grant- awarded 2018
- £1400 University of Strathclyde Research Travel Grant – awarded 2017
Jaylan is interested in supervising doctoral research within the services domain around the complementary concepts of Service Dominant Logic, value co-creation and actor/customer engagement. Within this domain, she has an interest in digital consumer behaviour and its impact in social networks, artificial intelligence and machine learning, customer experience and customer well-being.
Jaylan teaches and leads online and on-campus classes at postgraduate level including marketing research, marketing management, services marketing and retail marketing. She has been nominated for an Above and Beyond award - outstanding student experience category. She codesigned the first online degree programme (MSc in Marketing) in Adam Smith Business School. She contributed to the School's framework for remote and blended learning and teaching (Programme Design and Delivery workstream). Recently, she has been appointed as an external examiner at University of West London within the Claude Littner Business School.
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2020: Reviewer Recognition Award (Journal of Business Research)
- 2019: Above & Beyond Award (Edinburgh Napier Business School)
- 2019: Reviewer Recognition Award (Electronic Commerce Research and Applications)
- 2019: Fellowship (Higher Education Academy)
- 2017: Best Research Presentation Award (Strathclyde Business School)
Professional & learned societies
- 2020 - 2023: External Examiner, University of West London
- 2020 - 2021: Member, Academy of Marketing Science (AMS)
- 2019 - -: Fellow, The Higher Education Academy
- 2019 - -: Corporate Member, The Marketing Society
- 2018 - -: Alumni, The University of Strathclyde
- 2015 - -: Alumni, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 2008 - 2010: Member, International Training Institute of Credit Agricole, S.A.
- 2001 - -: Member, Chartered Accountants Syndicate, Egypt
Selected international presentations
- 2020: 11th SERVSIG-AMA conference (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2020: 23rd AMS World Marketing Congress (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2020: 16th International Research Conference in Service Management (La Londe les Maures, France)
- 2019: Frontiers in Service AMA conference (National University of Singapore, Singapore)
- 2019: 16th QUIS symposium on advancing service research and practice (Karlstad, Sweden)
- 2018: 10th SERVSIG-AMA conference (Paris, France)
- 2017: 5th Naples forum on Service (Sorrento, Italy)
Jaylan has actively involved in executive training in Social Media Marketing and Customer Relationship Management with leading Scottish, Egyptian and multinational companies from various sectors including Scottish Government, Lloyds Bank, Unilever, Glaxo-Smith Kline, Vodafone, Nissan, Credit Agricole and National Bank of Egypt.
Keynote Speaker - External/International Events
2020 Vodafone Egypt
Social Media Communication Event (14 Aug. 2020)
Paper: Social Media Engagement Behavior in the times of Global Crises
2020 Wiley Education Services
Promotional event of ASBS Online degree Programme - MSc in Marketing (29 Jul. 2020) & (23 Oct. 2020)
2019 The Scottish Holyrood Magazine
Social Media Communication public event, Edinburgh, UK (27 Feb. 2019)
Paper: Influence value in social media networks
2018 The Scottish Holyrood Magazine
Digital Communication public event, Edinburgh, UK (24 Oct. 2018)
Paper: Forms and triggers of negative customer engagement behaviour in digital contexts.
2020: Experimental Research Orientation, Adam Smith Business School, Marketing cluster
2020: Interactive and Co-creative Moodle tools, Adam Smith Business School, Marketing cluster
2019: Research Seminar, Napier Business School
Paper: The impact of direct and indirect NVIB in social online networks
2018: Research Seminar, Napier Business Shcool
Paper: Conceptualising forms and triggers of NVIB
2018: Pragmatism Research Philosophy, Napier Business School, PhD Research Vignette
Conferences organised and/or sessions chaired.
Chair, ‘Influence in digital services session’, QUIS16, Karlstad, Sweden, June 10-13, 2019
Chair, ‘customer experience session’, Frontiers in Services, Singapore, July 18-21, 2019
Conferences organised: European Marketing Academy, Glasgow, UK, May 29 - Jun 1, 2018
Conferences organised: European Academy of Management, Glasgow, UK June 21-24, 2017
Reviewer and editorial duties
Ad hoc reviewer of Journal of Business Research, Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Services Marketing, Journal of Product and Brand Management, Journal of Service Theory and Practice, Journal of Service Management, International Journal of Hospitality Management, International Journal of Consumer Studies, Journal of Consumer Marketing, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Computers in Human Behavior, and Electronic Commerce Research and Applications.