Dr Dania Thomas
- Lecturer in Business Law (Economics)
0141 330 2417
337 D, ASBS South, ,Main Building, University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8QQ
- BA (Philosophy), Elphinstone College, Mumbai University, 1989
- LLB Government Law College, Mumbai University, 1993
- PhD (Law), School of Law, Keele University, September 2005 Ph.D. Supervisor: Professor William Lucy (Manchester).
- PhD committee: Professor Marie Fox (Keele), Professor Chris Riley (Durham), Dr. Ruth Fletcher (Keele)
- Permanent Lecturer, School of Law, Keele University, October, 2006-2013
- Visiting Research Fellow, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation, University of Warwick, 2005-2007
- Lecturer, School of Law, University of Manchester, October 2002-October 2005
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, School of Law, Keele University, October 2000-September 2002
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, School of Law, University of Hull, September 1999 – September 2000
- Practising Attorney, Supreme Court of India, New Delhi; Mumbai and Delhi High Courts, January 1993- May 1999
Membership of professional societies
- Member – Socio-Legal Studies Association; Society of Legal Scholars
Dania is a member of the Microeconomics research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Business law
- Sovereign debt regulation
- Financial regulation
- Contract law
- Company law
- Successfully applied for Seedcorn Funding from the Adam Smith Research Foundation (£1990) and top-up funds from ASBS;
- SLSA Annual Seminar Competition, 6-7 May 2010, co-applicant, grant awarded £4000 (with Dr. Bettina Lange, (Lead applicant), Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, Oxford);
- Workshop at the International Institute for the Sociology of Law, Onati, Bilbao, 10-11 July 2010, co-applicant ( Dr. Bettina Lange, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, Oxford; Dr. Fiona Hayes, Melbourne University, Australia) (This covered accommodation and conference cover, and was not a financial grant);
- Visiting Research Fellow (October 2005-September 2007) Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick;
- CSGR research grant to examine the implication of contractual change as a market solution to sovereign debt crises (teaching buyout in semester two), (£8,400) 2006-2007;
- CSGR research grant to examine the role of the judge in sovereign debt restructuring, (£4,000) 2005-2006.
- English Contract Law
- Company Law (corporate personality, corporate governance, corporate finance, bankruptcy)
- Sovereign insolvency
- Regulating sovereign debt crises
- Law of Finance
- AHMED, ABDUL-MUMIN
Indirect Claimants and Sovereign Debt Sustainability
- Business Law (UG)
- Contract law (UG)
- Company law(UG)
- Financial Regulation (PGT/UG)
- Sovereign Debt Regulation (PGT)
- Miller M. and D. Thomas (2013) ‘Eurozone Sovereign Debt Restructuring: promising legal approaches? (Invited publication Oxford Review of Economic Policy);
- Thomas D. (2013), “Sovereign debt litigation: Constructing contracts, naturalising property”, in Studies in Law, Politics and Society, Special issue guest edited by Bettina Lange and D. Thomas.
Work in progress
- Thomas D. (2013) “Embedded Fictions: Property in Sovereign Debt” in Regulatory Transformations: Rethinking Economy and Society Interactions, guest edited by Bettina Lange, Fiona Haines and Dania Thomas (Hart Publishing Ltd).
- Miller M. and D. Thomas ‘Sovereign debt restructuring: the Judge, the vultures and creditor rights’ a reprint in Sovereign Debt: From Safety to Default (ed.) Robert W. Kolb (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey).