Dr Bethia Pearson
- Research Associate (Management)
I obtained my PhD in the department of Politics at the University of Glasgow (2018), funded by the ESRC. My research looked at the human rights campaigns and the media in Uruguay during democratisation. In particular, it assessed media access for the campaign against impunity between 1989-2012, and used a mixed methodology of content analysis and qualitative interviews.
Before returning to higher education, I worked as a journalist for 16 years. I started my career at The Herald then went on to freelance for both The Herald/Sunday Herald, the Scotsman, Elle Magazine and other publications. I continue my involvement in journalism on a voluntary basis as Content Editor for the Outdoor Swimming Society.
My previous qualifications are MSc Human Rights and International Politics (distinction, University of Glasgow), PgDip Journalism Studies (University of Strathclyde) and MA Philosophy (University of Aberdeen).
- Human rights and the media (particularly transitional justice)
- Latin America
- Media and democratisation
- Sociology Small Grants Fund, 'Local newspapers and their role in communities in Scotland', £400 (2019)
- University of Glasgow College of Social Sciences Knowledge Exchange Funding (2016) with Dr Anthony Ridge Newman, 'Human Rights and media: Reflections for policy-makers, NGOs and journalists'
- Economic & Social Research Council PhD Scholarship (2013-2016)
I welcome applications from prospective PhD candidates in the subject areas of: Human rights, Latin American politics, media (particularly representation and journalist-source relations).
Current research students:
- Oisin Kealy (Lord Kelvin Adam Smith Scholarship) with Dr David Archibald & Dr Barbara Read. 'Activist screening cultures and the formulation of human rights and rights-based citizenship in Latin America'
Postgraduate teaching on the University of Glasgow Masters in Media, Communications & International Journalism:
- Media, Communication and Journalism: Criticism and Theory
- Researching Audiences and the Media
- Media in the Global South
- Practical journalism
Postgraduate teaching on the MSc in Equality & Human Rights.
- Equality and Human Rights (guest lecture: Human rights in Latin America)
- Steering group member for the Glasgow Human Rights Network
- Member of Glasgow Latin America Research Network