British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. They build connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
The British Council has established programmes to support Women and Girls in STEM around the world, designed with a lifecycle approach in mind, from inspiring young girls to stay in STEM to supporting women working in STEM fields reach positions of leadership and network with their peers in their region and the UK.
This year, kindly supported by the British Council, the University of Glasgow is delighted to announce 5 fully funded scholarships for female students fromthe countires listed below interested in pursuing master’s studies in the fields of Sustainable Energy, Climate Change and Health. Each of these scholarships covers full tuition fees, monthly stipend, a return economy class ticket and other costs such as IELTS exam fee, visa application, NHS surcharge and key study materials.
Please see British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM for more details.
To be eligible for the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM, you must:
- Be a woman (cis-gendered or trans) or identify as non-binary.
- Be a passport holder and permanent resident of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia or Serbia
- Hold an offer of a place for an eligible postgraduate taught programme at the University of Glasgow (September 2024 intake only), as listed above.
- Have completed all components of an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at the University of Glasgow by the time you submit your application and be due to start your postgraduate programme in the UK during 2024.
- Demonstrate a case for financial support/socio-economic need
- Have not previously studied at degree level or higher in the UK or lived recently in the UK.
- You must not be in receipt of financial support or funding towards your study programme in the UK from any other source.
- Meet the English language requirement of the University of Glasgow (or are expected to meet the requirement after a 3-month English Language pre-sessional course).
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your scholarship award has ended.
- You are required to show in your application that you are active in the field with work experience or with a proven interest in the programme area you are applying for.
- You are willing to demonstrate future contribution to capacity-building and socio-economic advancement through the benefits achieved after graduating from UK higher education and returning your home country.
- You must demonstrate in your application a plan and passion to engage other women and girls in STEM from your home country.
- You agree that your personal data being shared with the British Council as a condition of applying for the bursary.
- If you are awarded a scholarship, you agree to maintain contact with the British Council and act as an ambassador for the UK and engage with activities as part of a British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM alumnus during and after your study in the UK. Any involvement in these activities during your study in the UK will take up no more than five hours per term.
You are NOT eligible for a British Council Scholarship if you:
- Hold dual British citizenship.
- Have previously studied in the UK with funding from a UK Government-funded scholarship or a UK institutional scholarship/financial bursary.
- Are an employee, a former employee, or relative of an employee of Her Majesty’s Government (including British Embassies/High Commissions; the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy; Department for International Trade; the Ministry of Defence; and the Home Office).
- Are an employee, a former employee, or relative of an employee of the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM.
Number of Scholarships5
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Earth Futures: Environments, Communities, Relationships[MSc]
- Ecology & Environmental Monitoring (Dumfries Campus)[MSc]
- Environmental Futures: Sustainable Systems[MSc]
- Environmental Risk Management (Dumfries campus)[MSc]
- Global Mental Health[MSc/PgDip/PgCert]
- Health Services Management[MSc/PgDip/PgCert]
- Human Nutrition[MSc(MedSci)]
- Public Health[MPH/PgDip/PgCert]
- Sustainable Energy[MSc]
- Sustainable Tourism & Global Challenges (Dumfries campus)[MSc]
- Sustainable Water Environments[MSc]
The scholarship covers the full costs associated with study at the University of Glasgow including:
- Tuition fees
- Monthly stipend towards living and accommodation costs
- Travel costs, equipment and study costs.
How to apply
This scholarship is not currently open. Please input your details and you will be notified when applications are open.