Athena SWAN in IHW
Wellbeing of older workers (WOW)
This group was formed in 2018 with the aim of examining issues relating to workers aged 50 and above, addressing potential discrimination or disadvantage, and improving wellbeing.
Work to date has included:
- collecting and reporting on data relating to 50+ workers within Institute of Health and Wellbeing;
- undertaking a qualitative research project to identify older workers' opinions on areas of interest or concern;
- raising funding for and appointing a project officer, Rebecca Robinson with the remit to build a toolkit of resources and run workshops for older workers and their line managers;
- linking with the institute's Athena SWAN maternity, paternity, parental and carer issues working group to address issues relating to older workers' caring responsibilities;
- on an ongoing basis, considering ways in which to challenge age-related stereotypes, raise awareness of issues that specifically affect this staff group, and ensure that IHW is a supportive environment for older workers.