SUERC Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory
To submit samples for dating, please complete our C-14 Spreadsheet.
Notes on the spreadsheet:
- Enter one sample per line.
- Ensure sample identifiers match those on the sample labels.
- Billing Details for companies, universities, councils, etc.
- Invoice To: name of the organisation responsible for payment.
- Billing Address: for universities, councils and larger companies, this should be your finance department.
- Purchase Order No: if your organisation uses a PO system, this must be completed, otherwise leave blank.
- VAT No: EU companies outside the UK should enter their tax number here to pay VAT in their home country.
Send the completed spreadsheet to
and include a printed copy with the samples.
After completing and sending the spreadsheet, samples, clearly labelled with a unique sample identifier code, should be properly packaged and sent to:
SUERC Radiocarbon Laboratory
To reduce our carbon footprint, it is preferred that submitters no longer send samples in plastic containers.
The following table shows the recommended sample sizes for analysis. Submitters with samples slightly below the minimum should contact the laboratory for advice.
|Recommended Size||Minimum Size|
|Charcoal||50 mg||10 mg|
|Wood||50 mg||10 mg|
|Shell||100 mg||25 mg|
|Peat||5 g||1 g|
|Bone/Antler||5 g||1 g|
|Cremated Bone||5 g||1 g|
|Soil/Silt/Sediment||5 g||1 g|
|Sizes given are before any pretreatment|