Glasgow Science Festival 2018
St. Enoch Centre, 15-16 June 2018
Researchers from the University of Glasgow’s Centre for the Study of Perceptual Experience were participants in the 12th annual Glasgow Science Festival. The team welcomed over 600 members of the public into our display at St Enoch Centre for an exciting weekend of engaging, explaining, fooling, and dazzling the senses.
- CSPE Co-ordinators: Dr Derek Brown and Professor Fiona Macpherson
- CSPE Researchers: David Aikman, Dr Jennifer Corns, Dr Robert Cowan, Joaquim Giannotti, Lucas Jeay-Bizot, Professor Fiona Macpherson, Raúl Ros Morales, Lauren Murray, and Adriana Alcaraz Sánchez.
We also received special assistance from Jon Hatton from Cupboard Games.
Items on display included:
- Virtual Reality unit with various software samples
- ‘Reverspective’ 3D images with apparently move in unusual ways relative to observers
- ‘Mirascope’ 3D optical illusion of an object
- 'Hyperscope' that increases 3D depth perception
- McGurk effect audiovisual illusion
- Rissett Rhythm and Shephard Tone auditory illusions
- Binaural Beats auditory illusion
- Hollow mask illusion
- Animated transparencies causing motion illusions
- Spinning motion aftereffect disc and questionnaire
- Jelly beans that you ‘taste’ with your nose
- Nasty and nice sweets