Riverside Museum, 29 September 2018
Researchers from the University of Glasgow’s Centre for the Study of Perceptual Experience were participants in the Explorathon 2018. The team welcomed roughly 400 members of the public into our display at the Riverside Museum for an exciting day of engaging, explaining, fooling, and dazzling the senses.
CSPE Co-ordinators: Dr Derek Brown and Professor Fiona Macpherson
CSPE Researchers: Sean Carruthers, Joaquim Giannotti, Martin Miragoli, Raúl Ros Morales, and Dario Mortini.
Items on display included:
- A sample of Vanta Black, the darkest known substance.
- Watercolour illusions
- Modal completion illusion
- ‘Reverspective’ 3D images with apparently move in unusual ways relative to observers
- ‘Mirascope’ 3D optical illusion of an object
- 'Hyperscope' that increases 3D depth perception
- Hollow mask illusion
- Animated transparencies causing motion illusions
- Spinning motion aftereffect disc and questionnaire
- Jelly beans that you ‘taste’ with your nose
- Nasty and nice sweets