Research title: Ethiopia, Sacred Colonial Cultural Objects and Restitution
- International Cultural Heritage Law
- Art Law
- Public International Law
- Law and Colonialism
- Restitution of Sacred Colonial Cultural Objects with a particular focus on the 11 Ethiopian tabots housed in the British Museum.
- Giorgallis, A. (2023) The Return of the Holy Doors of St Anastasios from the Kanazawa College of Art. Art, Antiquity and Law 28 (2) (forthcoming, July).
- Giorgallis, A & Mak, C.H.W. (2023) Protecting Built Heritage in Hong Kong. The Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society, 53(1), pp. 1-2.
- Giorgallis, A. (2022) The Potential of the US Courts to Adjudicate Restitution Claims Involving Colonial Cultural Objects. Santander Art and Culture Law Review, 8(2), pp. 185-216.
- "CREATe Public Lectures Autumn 2021: Report on 'Intellectual Property Citizenship and American Racial Imaginaries' by Dr. Anjali Vats" (CREATe, 09 December 2021).
- "Restitution of Colonial Cultural Objects: A Glimpse from an International Law Approach", Cambridge International Law Journal (31 May 2021).
- A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarship (2021 - 2022)
- A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarship (2020 - 2021)
Selected Conference Presentations
- "The Colonial Lives of the Legal Framework Regarding the Restitution of Sacred Cultural Objects: The Magdala Collection" (European University Institute (EUI), 08-09 May 2023).
- "Restitution, Locus Standi and Transnational Litigation" (2023 Socio-Legal Studies Association Conference, Ulster University, 04-06 April 2023).
- "Legal Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage: A Glance from the Republic of Cyprus" (Forum for Mediterranean Archeology, University of Cyprus, 09-10 December 2022).
- "Restitution of Colonial Cultural Objects: Acknowledging the "Colonial Present"" (2022 Socio-Legal Studies Association Conference, University of York, 06 April 2022).
- "Rehumanisation and Repatriation: Adressing the Future of Human Remains in Collections" (The Hunterian, University of Glasgow, 09 December 2021).
- "Bringing Colonial Cultural Objects Before the Court: Adding Another Way for Access to Justice?" (26th Ius Commune Conference 2021, University of Maastricht, 25 - 26 November 2021).
- "Auction Houses and Cultural Objects: Confronting Old Challenges, Opening up New Horizons?" (Edinburgh Postgraduate Law Conference 2020, University of Edinburgh, 03 - 04 February 2020).
Graduate Teaching Assistant:
- HISTART 4068: Discourses in Cultural Property (Semester 2: 2022 - 2023).
- LAW 1006: Public International Law (Semester 2: 2022 - 2023).
- LAW 2031P: Advanced International Law (Semester 1: 2022 - 2023).
- HISTART 5126: Provenance (Semester 1: 2022 - 2023) "Sources of Law" & "Colonial Era Artefacts".
- HISTART 5126: Provenance (Semester 1: 2021 - 2022) "Legal Claims to Underwater Cultural Heritage" & "Colonial Era Artefacts".
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) with Minor Degree in History, University of Cyprus (2015 - 2019)
- LL.M. International Law, University of Edinburgh (2019 - 2020)