Language requirements

Many of our partner universities do teach courses in English in which case you would not require knowledge of the local language before you go. However, we encourage you to take advantage of any language courses to make the most of your experience and enhance your future employability.

Research language requirements 

Research your proposed host university to check the language of teaching and assessment for your chosen courses. Verify whether courses are taught in English and offer enough credits in your subject to fulfil the requirements of your degree.

For study at a host university where the language of instruction is not English, you will need to provide evidence of meeting the minimum level of that language. This is normally B2 according to the Common European Framework.

Before you go

If you want to develop some language skills before you go


Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support 

If selected to study or work through Erasmus+ you have the opportunity to assess your language skills before and after your trip. You will also have access to a free online language course to improve your skills before you go, and while you are away. 

Even if you will study or work in English, Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support may be available to you to support your foreign language skills.

When you arrive

Many partner universities offer language courses for exchange students, either as an intensive course at the start of the semester or during the year. We encourage you to take advantage of this. Check with your subject coordinator whether credits from these language classes will be recognised as part of your degree. If so, the classes should be included in your learning agreement. If not, these credits will be in addition to the required 30 or 60 ECTS.