Picture of the main university campus building

Research Misconduct

Policy and Process

The University strives to embed a culture of research integrity in both its staff and students, and is committed to supporting a research environment that is underpinned by a culture of integrity and based on good governance, best practice and support for the development of researchers.

The University’s policy and procedures for investigating allegations of misconduct in research complies with the principles outlined by the UK Research Integrity Office.

The policy sets out a process to enable all allegations to be investigated thoroughly, fairly and expeditiously and with care and sensitivity.

How to Report Research Misconduct

To find out what constitutes 'misconduct in research', please refer to Section 2 in the Research Misconduct Policy  It is important to recognise that genuine errors do occur and can, in general, be managed effectively at source. We also recognise that research misconduct may happen in an environment where there is also bullying, harassment or discrimination: this can be reported on the website for separate consideration and to access further confidential support.

Research Integrity Champions and Advisers:

Each College has nominated senior academic colleagues who have a role in promoting good research practice and may investigate repeated errors or mistakes to determine what remedial action is required. These are our Research Integrity Champions and Advisers.

Research Integrity Inbox:

Any member of the University who believes that an act of research misconduct has occurred or is occurring should initially report this to their School Research Integrity Adviser. If for any reason that is not appropriate they can contact another School Adviser, the College Research Integrity Champion or the Research Integrity Team directly at research-integrity@glasgow.ac.uk 

Anyone external to the University can report suspected research misconduct can also be reported directly to the Research Integrity Team via the confidential email box  research-integrity@glasgow.ac.uk. All allegations received centrally will be reviewed by the Named Person for Research Misconduct, Professor Martin Hendry. 

Anonymous Reporting Form:

We are aware that in some cases individuals may not wish to report any breaches of good research practice of misconduct due to fear of repercussion. As such we now have an anonymous reporting form that can capture any details of your allegations without the need to disclose your personal details. 

Click here to use Anonymous Reporting Form 

Please note that if you choose not to be contactable and do not provide enough information about your complaint, we may not be able to investigate.