Peer Support Training
The Peer Support Training Programme is a new initiative at the University of Glasgow. It aims to provide students with the skills to support other students through their University journey, offering support and sometimes guidance.
Peer Support training - highlights:
- Training is provided by qualified Peer Support Co-ordinators through the University of Glasgow’s Counselling and Psychological Services.
- Training consists of 10 three hour sessions and continues with fortnightly supervision.
- The training promotes enhanced listening and appropriate assertiveness skills. Students develop confidence in social and communication skills, supporting others to make decisions without giving advice.
- Peer Supporters will learn to manage crisis situations within the confines of the confidentiality agreement. This process will be supervised by the Peer Support Co-ordinators.
- The training emphasises the Peer Supporter’s boundaries, an awareness of their limits and where best to refer on to when necessary.
- Peer Supporters run social events throughout the academic year. This provides students with an opportunity to connect with their wider community.
Following the recent Peer Support training programme at the Vet School a need was identified for non-academic staff in a supportive role. Therefore we are running a series of 4 half-day workshops.
“We learned to listen without being judgemental and understand that people have different backgrounds and views.” “The content was beyond valuable. It has helped me grow exponentially and I have recognised many things about myself. I am excited to move forward and apply my skills.”
Workshop - highlights :
- Experiential sessions to develop basic Counselling skills
- Crisis intervention and management
- The theory behind Peer Support programmes
- Overview of University and community support services
- Certificate upon completion of full course
The course will run on Tuesday mornings from 9.30 - 12.30 am on 5 May, 12 May, 19 May and 26 May at Glasgow University Veterinary School, Lomond room.
Cost: £175 (includes course cost, training materials and refreshments)
If you feel your school may benefit from this programme and would like to find out more about Peer Support training and costs please contact:
Or call: Tel: 0141 330 4528
First published: 26 February 2015