Set up your device for your University email
Due to the wide range of devices in use, we can't provide step-by-step instructions for every one. The following steps will work for most devices though:
- On your device, open your preferred email app
- Set up a new Exchange account
- Enter the following details:
Username: your University email address (Apostrophe in your email address? Leave it out!)
Password: your GUID password
Server name (if prompted): outlook.office365.com
Set up a new Exchange account and enter these additional settings:
- Internal URL: https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
- External URL: https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
Please consider using an ActiveSync client instead of IMAP and SMTP. ActiveSync users can access their calendar and wipe their device remotely in the event of loss.
- Username: your email address
- Password: your GUID password
- Incoming IMAP
- Server name: outlook.office365.com
- Port: 993
- Encryption method: SSL
- Outgoing SMTP
- Server name: smtp.office365.com
- Port: 587
- Encryption method: STARTTLS
Smartphone and tablet security advice
Set a PIN to protect your device from unauthorised use!
Your smartphone and tablet are likely to contain a lot of confidential information about you, perhaps even your bank details.
Treat your smartphone like your wallet or purse.
Treat your tablet like your laptop.
There are many ways you can increase the security of your smartphone and tablet:
- Set a PIN and ensure that it is not guessable (not 0000, 1234 etc) to protect your device from unauthorised use.
- Set a timeout to lock your device.
- Be careful which apps you install and what permissions you give them.
- If you use GPS location services, be aware of what information they share.
- Keep in mind the email security rules: these apply whatever device you're using.
- Backup the information on your device.
- Keep a copy of your IMEI number (if applicable) in case of loss or theft.
- At end of its life, dispose of your device securely.