Creating meetings, classes or seminars
Log in at https://uofglasgow.zoom.us
Instructions for downloading Zoom for your desktop: Getting started with Zoom
Setting up a Zoom meeting
If scheduling sessions for a course, we recommend that you use the Zoom plugin for Moodle. See Scheduling Zoom sessions for teaching.
Choose Meetings and then Schedule a new meeting to set up a new meeting.
Choose Schedule to set up a new meeting.
Set your meeting's details and password (we recommend doing this for security reasons).
You can choose to have the participants video off by default to stop the Zoom screen becoming too cluttered.
Other options that you might want to set are:
- allow participants to join the session before the host enters the room
- mute participants when they join the meeting.
- add additional hosts by entering their email – this must be a University of Glasgow email address.
See Zoom privacy: Detailed settings guide for classes for detailed guidance on privacy options when hosting live classes.
Save your settings.
Zoom will generate a joining URL for people to access the meeting.
TIP: It’s also good to ask participants to mute their mics when they are not using them to avoid any unnecessary background noise.
Add a Zoom meeting to Moodle (staff)
If you use the Zoom plugin to schedule classes, students will be able to see the Zoom joining links directly in Moodle. See Scheduling Zoom sessions for teaching.
Alternatively, you can add the Zoom generated URL to the relevant course page by selecting URL from Add an activity or resource in Moodle, then invite your students via your usual communication channels.
Starting a Zoom meeting
Choose Meetings to see a list of all your scheduled meetings. To join/start your meeting choose Start.
You will then be prompted to open the Zoom application.
When you access the main Zoom desktop you will notice a toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
- Mute: allows you to mute your own microphone.
- Stop Video: allows you to stop your video feed
- Manage Participants: This allows you to mute all participants
- Share: allows the host to share their computer desktop and any application that they have open.
- Chat: Allows text chat
- Resume/Stop recording: Allows you to control the recording of the session.
- Breakout Rooms: Allows the creation and management of breakout rooms.
- The End Meeting option will close the meeting and log all users out.
The Chat option allows you to text chat with the entire group or have one-to-one private chats. Select the chat icon from the toolbar and a chat panel will appear to the right-hand of the desktop. Select if you want to address the whole group or an individual.
To create breakout rooms, choose Breakout rooms from the toolbar. Choose:
- how many rooms you want
- to manually create the rooms.
Once you have created these rooms you can manually assign users to them.
To start breakout rooms, choose the Breakout rooms icon and this time you will see a button to start the breakout rooms. As a host you can swap between rooms.