- IT essentials for remote study - Technical requirements
- Glasgow Anywhere remote desktop - run the same programs as you would on campus PCs.
- Office 365: Email | Word | Excel |PowerPoint | OneDrive | Microsoft Teams | Guides | Training
- Using your own device
- Collaborating and meeting online
- Accessing your files
- IT services for students
Remote and blended study
- Online exam guidance
- Preparation for study, research, and writing online - Advice and information for online courses and classes
- Blended Learning and Assessment Moodle - to help you make the most of learning and studying online
- Using the Library remotely
Software and online tools for learning
These are software and online tools and technologies centrally supported by the University for learning (and teaching).
Virtual Learning Environment
- Moodle - UofGs Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Blackboard Ally - (Moodle plug in) Blackboard Ally provides and alternative formats of files.
- Turnitin - (integrated with Moodle Assignment) similarity checking software.
- Mahara - provides the tools to set up a personal learning and development environment.
Classroom voting, live surveys and polling
- Mentimeter - Integrates with Zoom and Powerpoint.
Creating, reading and sharing files
- Office 365 - includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneDrive, Teams and Microsoft Accessibility Checker
- Overleaf - online, collaborative LaTeX editor
- Zoom - Provides a high-quality video, audio, and/or screen sharing solution for conferencing and collaboration, as well as auto-generated transcripts.
- Teams - A hub for teamwork, where you can chat, hold meetings, and share files and apps. Recordings in Teams are automatically saved to Stream.
- Stream (login required) - A service that lets you upload, view, and share videos across the University of Glasgow.
- Kaltura - Capture, host and share video-based content. Kaltura also allows you to create in-video quizzes.
- LinkedIn Learning - LinkedIn Learning has over 12,000 courses, broken down into three key areas: Technology, Business and Creative.
- FutureLearn Campus - Free access to Glasgow’s live MOOC portfolio as well as a large range of MOOCs from other institutions. Sign up with your UofG account.
- Coursera Partner Consortium - Access online courses and earn certificates through our partnership with Coursera.
See also Training, upskilling and CPD
Statistics, analysis and visualisation
- SPSS - Statistical analysis program for research and other projects.
- Minitab - Statistical analysis program for research and other projects.
- MATLAB - A high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
- NVivo - Work with unstructured information like documents, surveys, audio, video and pictures - so that you can ultimately make better decisions.
- Mathematica - A computational software program used in many scientific, engineering, mathematical and computing fields, based on symbolic mathematics.
- Endnote - Organise references, search online bibliographic databases and create bibliographies instantly and automatically.
Don't see what you need? Contact us