This privacy notice explains how The Hunterian at the University of Glasgow collects, manages, uses and protects your data.
The Hunterian is part of the University of Glasgow, and the University is the data controller.
Your personal data
The University of Glasgow will be what is known as the ‘Data Controller’ of your personal data processed in relation to your membership of The Hunterian Friends.
Why we need it
We collect your personal data such as name and email address in order to communicate with you about your membership of The Hunterian Friends and related events, and to send you news about The Hunterian including our exhibitions, events and fundraising activities. We will only collect the data that we need in order to provide and oversee this service to you.
Our legal basis for processing your data
We must have a legal basis for processing all personal data. In this instance, the legal basis is consent.
Where your data comes from
Data is collected from Hunterian Friends when they return a membership application form, event booking form or attend an event.
The data we hold
We hold the following types of information for Hunterian Friends:
- Email address
- Your name, title, gender, and date of birth if we have it
- Your preferred postal address and any known previous address, as well as email addresses and telephone numbers
- If you are an alumnus/a, your University qualification(s)
We may also hold some of the following, based on the information you provide to us:
- Donation information, including gift aid status (as required by HMRC)
- Event-related information such as dietary or access requirements or car registration
- Business details, such as job title, employer/company name and contact information
- The name of your partner/spouse and other family relationships, or connections you may have with other alumni and supporters of the University
How we use your data
We may contact Hunterian Friends by email, post or phone, complying with any preferences expressed: see Your rights and preferences below.
We may contact you to:
- keep you informed of Friends events, Hunterian news, exhibitions and events
- tell you about the benefits of being a Hunterian Friend, including discounts and services
- invite you to events hosted by The Hunterian, University of Glasgow or partner organisations
- offer opportunities for you to engage with The Hunterian as an ambassador, volunteer, friend and supporter. This may include asking you for your financial support through making a gift to one of the projects which help to deliver the University’s mission of creating and sharing knowledge, or asking you to give your time to help students.
If you provide contact information, and unless you specify otherwise, we will assume this includes consent for us to use that data for the purposes listed above. For example, if you provide us with a telephone number registered with the Telephone Preference Service, we will assume you are happy for us to use this number for the purposes stated above. If we lose touch with you, we may use publicly available contact details to re-establish our connection and seek your permission to update your contact details. You can manage your communications preferences at any time.
Protecting your data
The personal information we obtain is processed in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation. When this legislation is amended or replaced, we will review and update our data processing practices accordingly.
We currently use a third-party provider, Campaign Monitor, to deliver our e-newsletter and updates. We will ensure that any third-party provider has an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK data protection law and will put contracts in place dictating the use of your data.
Data is never 'sold' to third-parties.
Your rights and preferences
The Hunterian considers its relationship with Hunterian Friends to be lifelong. We will always try to ensure that the data we hold for you is up to date, reasonable and not excessive. You always have the right to:
- be informed as to how we use your data (via this privacy notice)
- access or request a copy of the data we hold about you (see below)
- update your information and/or manage your communications preferences at any time
- opt out of specific types of processing
- ask us to remove your data from our records (see below)
- withdraw consent, where it is used as a legal basis for processing
At any time, you can:
- contact us at email@example.com to tell us about your preferences.
- unsubscribe using the ‘unsubscribe’ link on our emails
If you have any questions about this privacy notice please contact us at
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
T: +44 (0)141 330 2139/8537
For wider enquiries about how the University manages information please contact:
Data Protection & Freedom of Information Office
University of Glasgow
If our data practices change at some time in the future we will always post the policy changes on this page.
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact the University Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter. Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/
Updated May 2018