This privacy notice explains how The Hunterian at the University of Glasgow collects, manages, uses and protects your data.
The Hunterian is part of the University of Glasgow, and the University is the data controller.
Your personal data
The University of Glasgow will be what is known as the ‘data controller’ of your personal data processed in relation to The Hunterian electronic mailing list.
Why we need it
We collect your basic personal data such as name and email address in order to send you emails containing news about The Hunterian including our exhibitions, events and fundraising activities. We will only collect the data that we need in order to provide and oversee this service to you.
Our legal basis for processing your data
We must have a legal basis for processing all personal data. In this instance, the legal basis is consent.
Where your data comes from
Data is collected directly from you when you subscribe to our electronic mailing list or update your details online.
The data we hold
We hold the following types of information for subscribers:
- Email address
How we use your data
We will use your details to manage your interaction with The Hunterian. We will contact you by email only.
We will contact you to:
- keep you informed of Hunterian news, exhibitions and events
- tell you about the benefits of being a Hunterian Friend, including discounts and services
- invite you to events hosted by The Hunterian, University of Glasgow or partner organisations
- offer opportunities for you to engage with The Hunterian as an ambassador, volunteer, friend and supporter. This may include asking you for your financial support through making a gift to one of the projects which help to deliver the University’s mission of creating and sharing knowledge, or asking you to give your time to help students.
Protecting your data
The personal information we obtain is processed in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation. When this legislation is amended or replaced, we will review and update our data processing practices accordingly.
We currently use a third-party provider, Campaign Monitor, to deliver our e-newsletter and updates. We will ensure that any third-party provider has an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK data protection law and will put contracts in place dictating the use of your data.
Data is never 'sold' to third-parties.
How long do we keep it for
Your data will be retained by the The Hunterian at the University of Glasgow for as long as it is needed to provide the service to you. After this time, data will be securely deleted.
Your rights and preferences
We will always try to ensure that the data we hold for you is up to date, reasonable and not excessive. You always have the right to:
- be informed as to how we use your data (via this privacy notice)
- access or request a copy of the data we hold about you (see below)
- update your information and/or manage your communications preferences at any time
- opt out of specific types of processing
- ask us to remove your data from our records (see below)
- withdraw consent, where it is used as a legal basis for processing
At any time, you can
- contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us about your preferences.
- Unsubscribe using the ‘unsubscribe’ link on our emails
If you have any questions about this privacy notice please contact us at:
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
T: +44 (0)141 330 2139/8537
For wider enquiries about how the University manages information please contact:
Data Protection & Freedom of Information Office
University of Glasgow
If our data practices change at some time in the future we will always post the policy changes on this page.
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact the University Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter. Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/
Updated May 2018
Photography and Filming at Events
Please be advised that filming and photography take place during many of our events. The images taken may appear in Hunterian and University of Glasgow publications such as The Hunterian Exhibitions and Events guide, in our email newsletters or on our websites to promote similar activities. The film may be used by us to promote future events and may also be uploaded to our social media channels such as ITunes U, YouTube and Facebook.
The images taken may be retained by, and accessed by, authorised persons of the University of Glasgow or its agents in a secure, password protected database, based in the UK. The images will only be retained for the stated purpose and for a period of three years from the date they are taken. Some images or recordings may be kept permanently once they are published and be kept as an archive of University life. The images are processed by the University in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998.
You can withdraw your consent to your image being stored at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the event at which your image was taken.
Further details about how the University uses your information, can be found here: glasgow.ac.uk/legal/privacy