- Duration: 20 weeks
- Dates: September 2022–April 2023
- Credits: 10 credits at Level 1 (SCQF 7)
- Cost: £270
- Funding: Funding options available
- Delivery: In person or online
- Eligibility: See criteria below
- Entry requirements: None
- Class time: 20 weeks, 2 hours per week or 10 weeks, 4 hours per week (may vary from course to course)
Discover a new language or improve your existing language skills in a practical and interactive environment. Whether for business or pleasure, learn to communicate effectively, enjoy an authentic learning experience and expand your cultural knowledge. Choose from the convenient option of studying from your home with our online option or come over to our beautiful campus for in person classes.
Our classes are relaxed and collaborative, with plenty of exposure to the language and many opportunities to practise and learn with your peers.
Why learn with us?
- Choose from 15 different languages: Arabic, British Sign Language, Dutch, Gaelic, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Norwegian, Portuguese (European), Russian, Spanish and Swedish
- Select your level from Beginners A1 to Advanced C2* or Units 1-4 for BSL. Our levels are aligned with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
- All our courses are open to students, staff, alumni and members of the public with great discounts available for current UoG students and staff members.
- Daytime and evening courses available
- Complete the coursework and obtain credits or simply learn the language for pleasure
- Even at a basic level, an additional language will enhance your CV, increase your competitiveness in a global market and give you an extra cultural insight
*Not all languages are offered at all levels
Who are short course languages for?
- Anyone who is interested in learning or exploring a new or previously studied language without long-term registration commitments and high costs.
- Speakers of other languages who want to increase their communication skills or brush up their skills in a language they have previously studied.
- Current students who want to gain additional credits towards their degree
- Prospective students considering the study of language at university
- Professionals who would like to gain an international dimension for their CV
Feeling confident ahead of moving to Germany now. Going from speaking next to no German to this is a huge achievement!
German beginners A1 student
The course delivered the basic knowledge of Japanese language face to face and built up my confidence to speak a new language.
Japanese beginners A1 student
What qualifications/ credits can I gain?
Course assessment is optional but on successful completion you will obtain 10 credits at Level 1 (SCQF 7) for foreign and English language courses or 5 credits for British Sign Language courses.
How you’ll study
Language classes are interactive and collaborative, with plenty of exposure to the language and many opportunities to practise and learn with your peers.
You will also have access to Moodle, the University’s virtual learning environment, where you will find additional activities for you to practise what you have learnt in class and to extend your knowledge.