Introduction to Creative Writing (On campus options available)
- Cost: £150
- Credits: 10
Do you love fiction, poems or real-life stories and would love to write one yourself? Are you buzzing with ideas but nervous and unsure where to start? Would you benefit from some guidance and encouragement on how to write?
Join this playful and supportive practical course to learn the foundational skills central to four main types of creative writing: poetry, short story, novel and creative non-fiction. This course offers anyone new to creative writing a chance try these forms out with encouragement, support and guidance.
Over a series of welcoming talks, close-readings and approachable writing exercises, our expert tutor will explain:
- the key features of different types of creative writing
- how to try these ideas and techniques out in your own writing
- (optional) how to share what you’ve written and improve with mutual feedback
You will also have the chance to discuss and reflect on what you learn with other students and the tutor in seminars
Choose this course if you want to learn:
- the basics of what makes a poetry, short story, novel and creative non-fiction, and how to write them
- writing prompts that kickstart new ideas
- how to share your work and improve with mutual feedback
- (for those who opt to submit for assessment) how to improve with written feedback and how to reflect on your writing process.
Who is this course for?
Anyone beginning to write creatively and interested in:
- writing short stories, novels, poems and creative non-fiction
(optional) 10 credits at SCQF 7 / Level 1
Can contribute towards the attainment of Certificate or Diploma in Higher Education (Creative Writing)
Mode of study
This 10-week course will be delivered online via 2-hour seminars led by a tutor over Zoom.
Course materials will be provided via our online learning platform Moodle
- Start or develop your journey as a writer
- Can begin your study of creative writing at university level
- contribute towards a Certificate or Diploma in Higher Education
- can inform your personal reading list and introduce you to some inspiring writing
Find out more
The University holds open days throughout the year where you can meet with staff to discuss our short course provision. Find out more about University of Glasgow open days
- Date: 29/06/2023 - 31/08/2023
Time: 13:00 - 15:00
Reference: Introduction to Creative Writing(1707)-Online live book now