El Greco to Goya: Spanish painting in focus
- Cost: £90
- Credits: 5
This course provides an introduction to the fascinating contribution to painting in Spain of five outstanding artists who enjoyed international renown. Each week we will look at a different artist and, while we focus on the following five artists, El Greco, Velazquez, Zurbaran, Murillo and Goya, we will also explore their work in its social and historical context. This context includes consideration of the status and work of contemporary women artists connected with the Spanish court such as the Italian painters Sofonisba Anguissola and Lavinia Fontana. Reference will be made to major examples in European and British national and public collections.
Areas you'll explore include:
- Painting in Spain from c.1570-1830.
- The principal themes and styles of painting which developed during this period through the work of five major artists based in the cities of Toledo, Seville and Madrid.
- Consider Spanish painting in the context of European art.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Discuss the main themes and stylistic changes in Spanish painting from c.1570-1830 and their relation to western European painting.
- Distinguish between the work of the five outstanding artists studied and the subjects they specialised in.
Suggested follow on course
Art collectors and patrons of Glasgow ADED11248
Great Artists: the 20th century ADED11798
Who is this course for?
Anyone who has an interest in art history and in particular figurative sculpture.
5 Credits at SCQF level 7 (level 1 at undergraduate study)
Can contribute towards a CertHE in art history.
Mode of study
A mixture of lectures/seminars delivered live on Zoom.
Can contribute towards a CertHE in the history of art.
Find out more
The University holds open days throughout the year where you can meet with staff to discuss our short course provision. Find out more about University of Glasgow open days
- Date: 10/05/2023 - 07/06/2023
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
Reference: El Greco to Goya: Spanish painting in focus(9375)-Online live book now