This is a community-based introduction to Community Development provided by the University of Glasgow in partnership with local agencies/organisations.
- Contact: Helen.Martin@glasgow.ac.uk
- CPD: 50 hours
Why this course
The main aim of this course is to give people who are active in their community an opportunity to reflect on what they do and why they do it.
Participants get the opportunity to examine different practice approaches to working in the community, all of which will assist them in being even more effective in their practice.
In addition to this, the programme contributes to the sustainability of organisations, networks and initiatives and leads to increased community participation.
- Activate is a way of developing community capacity by giving participants the opportunity to reflect on their practice in the light of basic community work values and principles. It builds on the experience of those who work in the community, in either a paid or unpaid capacity.
- The teaching and learning is informal and participative and yet challenges participants to think more deeply about the work they are doing and how they can contribute to the development of their community.
- Flexible local delivery of this 50 hour course ensures that it is accessible for the people your organisation is working with.
- The specific learning on the programme can be tailored to the needs of the particular group.
Key concepts explored
- What is community work?
- Values and Principles of community work.
- Equality /Anti discrimination
- Power and Participation
- Local – global issues.
- Learning for change
- Identifying needs
- Group work
- Dealing with conflict
Key tasks – participants will undertake the following:
- Discrimination essay (500 words)
- Community investigation (small group presentation)
- Understanding group dynamics (presentation)
Course alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all courses as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a course. For more information, please see: Student contract.
Fees & funding
Each partner is responsible for recruitment and meeting the cost of the programme, however participants can use their Individual Learning Account to reduce the overall cost to the agencies/organisations.
How to apply
For further information, please contact: Helen Martin (Activate Programme Coordinator)
- Email: Helen.Martin@glasgow.ac.uk
- Telephone: +44 (0)141 330 1809