Dr Sohail Ahmad
- Research Fellow (Urban Studies)
Sohail Ahmad is a Research Fellow in GCRF Centre for Sustainable, Healthy and Learning Cities and Neighbourhoods (SHLC).
Ahmad works investigate low-carbon urban development options and socio-spatial exclusion issues in built environments and housing in south Asian cities. Focussing on low-carbon development, his works explore the distribution and determinants of household greenhouse gas emissions spatially. More recently, he investigates how fuel prices shape urban form in global cities. To bridge the gap between formal and informal settlements, he estimated the demand for housing and its attributes using household surveys and assessed socio-spatial exclusion and its determinants. These empirical studies have extensively employed (spatial) econometrics analyses using Stata and R on large datasets.
Prior to joining SHLC, he was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow at the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change, Berlin with joint affiliation to the Technische Universität Berlin. He briefly taught at the School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada in UG and PG programs. He completed a JSPS-UNU postdoctoral fellowship at the United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (Tokyo) with a joint affiliation to the Tokyo Institute of Technology.
He received a PhD in City Planning from the Seoul National University, a Master of Planning (Urban Planning) from the School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi, and a BArch (Hons) from the Aligarh Muslim University.
Ahmad is a World Social Science Fellow (Sustainable Urbanization) in 2014 and a Green Talent awardee in 2013 from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany.
- Low-carbon urban development
- Urban emissions and sustainability
- Housing, infrastructures and informal settlements
- Econometric and spatial modelling
- Nexus between health, environment, and energy use
- Urban and Regional Planning
"Lockdown Pains & Mass Exodus: Rental Housing in Megacities of the Indian Subcontinent", Global Challenges Research Fund, £12,700, 2020-21, PI
"Equity Impacts of Housing and Urban Amenities for Sustainable Development in South Asian Cities", Global Challenges Research Fund, £ 21.9K, 2019-21, PI
Knowledge Exchange Grant:
"Neighbourhood Matters" virtual event, Co-lead, ESRC's Festival of Social Sciences, 2020
Current or recent PGT dissertations:
- The relationship between housing price and consumer entertainment expenditure
- Impact of environmental regulations on technology innovation in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei
- A review of private student accommodation: A case study of Glasgow
- Analysis of the effect of green buildings on housing prices— a case of Tianjin
- Urban Studies Researching and the Dissertation (URBAN 5119)
- Designing Places (URBAN 5010)
- Recognising Excellence in Teaching (RET) Fellow, University of Glasgow (since 2020)
- Registered with Council of Architecture, India (since 2005)
- Associate Member of the Institute of Town Planners, India (since 2019)
- Joint convenor of the Urban Studies Workshop (2019-2020)
- Member of the School Ethics Forum (2019-)
My personal Publons account with details of my verified journal article reviews