Dr Rachael Jack
- Reader (Psychology)
- Associate (Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology)
CONSULTATION HOURS: Tuesday 3-5pm. Please email to arrange an appointment.
Rachael Jack is a Reader (Associate Prof) at the Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology, University of Glasgow. Her research has produced significant advances in understanding facial expression of emotion within and across cultures using a novel interdisciplinary approach that combines psychophysics, social psychology, dynamic 3D computer graphics, and mathematical psychology. Most notably, she has revealed cultural specificities in facial expressions of emotion; that four, not six, expressive patterns are common across cultures; and that facial expressions transmit information in a hierarchical structure over time. Together, Jack’s work has challenged the dominant view that six basic facial expressions of emotion are universal, which has led to a new theoretical framework of facial expression communication that she is now transferring to digital agents to synthesize culturally sensitive social avatars and robots.
Jack’s work has featured in several high-profile scientific outlets (e.g., Annual Review of Psychology, Current Biology, Psychological Science, PNAS, TICS). She is currently funded by the European Research Council (ERC) to lead the research program Computing the Face Syntax of Social Face Signals, which will deliver a formal model of human social face signalling with transference to social robotics. She has been funded previously by the ESRC Future Research Leaders award, ESRC Open Research Area, and British Academy.
Jack is recipient of the American Psychological Association (APA) New Investigator award, the Social and Affective Neuroscience Society (SANS) Innovation award, the British Psychological Society (BPS) Spearman Medal, Association for Psychological Science (APS) Rising Star award, and International Society for Research on Emotion (ISRE), Young Researcher Spotlight. She is also Associate Editor at Journal of Experimental Psychology: General and the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, and on the Editorial Boards of Psychological Science, Emotion, and Affective Science. She also serves a variety of roles on the committees/boards for the conferences of the Society for Affective Sciences (SAS), IEEE Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG), Socially Intelligent Agents (formerly IVA), and the Vision Science Society (VSS).
Find her CV here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj83r3y8yljv9g6/CV_JACK.pdf?dl=0
• 2019 - Editorial Board, Affective Science
• 2019 - Associate Editor, Journal of Experimental Psychology: General
• 2019 - Associate Editor, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology
• 2019 Program Committee (Head of Abstracts), Society for Affective Sciences (SAS)
• 2019 Abstract Review Board, Vision Sciences Society (VSS)
• 2018 - present Editorial Board, Psychological Science
• 2017 Spearman Medal, British Psychological Society (BPS)
• 2017 - present Programme Committee (Area Chair), IEEE Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition conference
• 2016 Rising Star, Association for Psychological Science (APS)
• 2016 Innovation Award, Social and Affective Neuroscience Society (SANS)
• 2015 Young Researcher Spotlight, International Society for Research on Emotion (ISRE)
• 2014 - present Editorial Board, Journal of Experimental Psychology: General
• 2014 Elected Member of The Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE), Young Academy of Scotland (YAS)
• 2013 New Investigator Award, American Psychological Association (APA)
Supervised Postgraduate Students
- Sumita Chatterjee (Non Ψ Postgraduate)
- Anna Henschel (Postgraduate)
- Laura Hensel (Postgraduate)
- Meng Liu (Non Ψ Postgraduate)
- Yuening Yan (Postgraduate)