Dr Akhil Kallepalli
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellow (School of Physics & Astronomy)
School of Physics and Astronomy, G12 8QQ
Research Website: https://kallepallilab.com/
I am currently a Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, conducting my research within the Optics Group (School of Physics and Astronomy). My research interests include novel imaging techniques, laser optics and light shaping, with a special focus on biophotonics and biomedical optics applications.
Prior to my arrival at the University of Glasgow as a Postdoctoral Research Associate (2020-2022), my background includes research in biomedical physics, light transport through biological tissues, image processing, satellite data analysis, hyperspectral imaging and change detection methods.
I am also involved in various organisations and outreach activities. I am currently serving as the Associate Vice President (Young Professionals, IEEE Photonics Society) and Chair of the Young Professionals Advisory Committee. In the Society's UK and Ireland Chapter, I initiated and currently lead the organisation of the Horizons of Optical, Photonics and Emerging Sciences (HOPES) webinar series and serve as the Outreach Officer. I am also an active participant in the Institute of Physics activities as a Committee Member for the IOP Optics Group. In addition, I also assist in the organisation of the annual IEEE British and Irish Conference on Optics and Photonics (BICOP) as the Publicity and Public Relations Chair (current) and Publications Chair (past).
I have been awarded the Best Dissertation Supervisor of the Year 2022 by the Student Representative Council Student Teaching Awards (University of Glasgow). I am also an active voice for advocacy of mental health issues in the research and academic environments, with contributions through talks and workshops for Dragonfly Mental Health in 2020 and 2021.
Image processing, computer vision, image reconstruction, optical and biomedical physics, Monte Carlo simulations, light transport through various media, data science.
I am always happy to discuss and collaborate on topics including my current research interests and:
- Monte Carlo assessment of light transport through tissue;
- Classification algorithms development for image processing and
- Hyperspectral data analysis and processing
Please refer to my previous works to get a general idea of my research interests and experience. I focus on problem-solving and real-world applications. Therefore, the focus is not only on data acquisition but also on the use of open-source tools and freely available datasets. A keen interest in programming is encouraged but not a prerequisite.
Past projects include:
- 2021, Harriet Bishop, Seeing through the blur: Refocusing microscopy images (Bachelors)
- 2021, Fraser Eadie, Non-contact diagnosis of oxygen saturations: A simulation approach (Bachelors)
- 2021, Robert Archibald, Machine learning-based classification of biological samples imaged by a 3D printed microscope (Bachelors)
- 2021, Minas Stavrinou, Cerebral haemodynamics at varying oxygen saturation levels in the near-infrared optical transparency window (Bachelors)
Non-Honours Undergraduate Lectures
- Physics 1: Frontiers Topic (S1) PHYS1001
- Physics 1: Tutorials (Assist) (S1) PHYS1001
- Physics 1: Tutorials (Assist) (S2) PHYS1001
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2022: Senior Member (IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers))
- 2022: Best Dissertation Supervisor of the Year (2021) (University of Glasgow Student Representatives Council)
- 2023 - 2025: Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowship
Professional & learned societies
- 2021 - Current: AVP, Young Professionals, IEEE Photonics Society, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2020 - Current: Outreach Officer, UK and Ireland Section Photonics Chapter, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2020 - Current: ECR Committee Member, Optical Group, Institute of Physics
- 2017 - Current: Chapter Officer, UK and Ireland Section Photonics Chapter, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2018 - 2021: Publications Chair, BICOP Conference Series, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2019 - 2022: Committee Member, South West Branch, Institute of Physics
- 2020 - 2021: Treasurer, South West Branch, Institute of Physics