Mrs Julia Dunlop
- Research Technician (Molecular Biosciences)
I am currently lab manager for Prof Kostas Tokatlidis. The lab management responsibilities I have are for;
- Health and Safety, generation and review of COSHH forms.
- Adherence to regulations for working with radioisotopes.
- GM risk assessment.
- Involvement in training of undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- Ordering, keeping track of expenditure and budgeting.
- Sourcing, purchase and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Keeping the lab clean, tidy, usable and safe.
My IT skills are competency in Office, Word, Excel for communication and data management and I have recent experience of data analysis in Prism.
I have 30 years experience of laboratory bench work but currently I am proficient in:
- Cell culture; maintenance of cell lines and setting up and performing cell based assays.
- Molecular biology techniques including PCR, working with RNA and DNA, gel electrophoresis, sub-cloning and site-directed mutagenesis.
- Protein purification, SDS-PAGE and Western blotting.
- Preparation of Mitochondria from yeast cell cultures and subsequent mitochondrial import assays.
- 35S GTPyS assays and BRET assays for screening of pharmacological compounds.
I am currently working in the lab of Prof Kostas Tokatlidis focusing on Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Health and Disease. Over my career I have worked on vaccine development for bacterial disease in farmed Atlantic Salmon, Herpes Simplex Virus, Human Papilloma Virus, Cancer Research, Inflammatory Pathway Biochemistry, and Molecular Pharmacology.