Dr Carole Macdiarmid
- EAP Manager (Teacher Development) (English for Academic Study Unit)
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Teacher Development & EAP Teacher Competencies
- Spoken Academic Discourse
- Text and Discourse Analysis
- Corpus Linguistics
- Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESoL) Methodology
I am particularly interested in academic language use and in how our understanding of linguistic features can be applied to materials design, both for EAP language learners and for EAP tutor development courses.
University of Glasgow Learning & Teaching Development fund
University of Glasgow Blended and Online Development (BOLD) project
- To convert the TESOL masters Teaching EAP option course to online format as part of the University’s online BOLD initiative; £6,622.94; 2015 (TEAP online course)
MEd & MSc TESOL Dissertation supervisor
I am available to co-supervise postgraduate PhD students in the areas of:
- English for academic purposes (teaching, teacher competencies, academic discourse)
- Course and Materials Design
- TESOL methodology
- Teacher Development in TESOL
- EAP Manager (Teacher Development)
- MSc & MEd TESOL Deputy Programme Leader
- Course Convener & Lecturer:
- Teaching English for Academic Purposes online course
- Teaching English for Academic Purposes (MEd TESOL & MSc TESOL)
- Language Learning and Applications (MEd TESOL)
- Course Design & Practice (MEd TESOL)
- Descriptions of Language and Applications - Discourse Analysis (MEd & MSc TESOL)
- MEd & MSc TESOL Dissertation supervisor
- Culture & English Language Teaching (for English Language and Linguistics)
- Academic English for Lecturers
- Pre-sessional EAP tutor
Academic qualifications & Awards
- PhD. English Language (University of Glasgow), July 2017.
- MSc in Teaching English for Specific Purposes, Aston University
- Post-graduate Certificate in British Cultural Studies, University of Warwick.
- Cambridge/RSA DTEFLA, International School, Istanbul.
- Cambridge/RSA CTEFLA, International House, Hastings.
- MA (Hons) in Politics and Social and Economic History (Joint Honours), University of Edinburgh.
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Senior Fellow, RET
Academic Roles & Responsibilities
Internal (University of Glasgow)
- Elected Member of Senate
- Postgraduate Taught Committee (School of Education)
- Postgraduate Committee (School of Modern Language and Cultures )
- Subject Moderator & member of Joint Academic Management Board for English and Study Skills components of foundation programmes, Kaplan, Glasgow International College, since 2013
- ELT Representative, University Council of Modern Languages (UCML)
- Assessor & committee member for the BALEAP Accreditation Scheme
- Member of BALEAP Teaching English for Academic Purposes working party (during portfolio design)
- External Examiner, University College London, UG Preparatory Certificate
- External Examiner, Pre-sessional Law courses and summer Pre-sessional: King College London, 2011-2014
- External Examiner, Foundation Business and Engineering modules, INTO at Glasgow Caledonian University , 2009-2011
- Previous roles: Cambridge ESOL CELTA Tutor and Assessor & DELTA tutor; Cambridge ESOL Main Suite oral examiner; IELTS examiner
Conferences & Resources (since 2000)
- MacDiarmid, C., and Rolinska, A. (2015). Transition to Academic Writing, online resource for international students
- MacDiarmid, C. (2008). Using sources in academic writing: online resource for international students
- Reflecting the academy in EAP course design. Talk at BALEAP Accreditation Scheme Event- Syllabus Design, Sheffield Hallam, May 2017.
- Exploring spoken academic discourse. Workshop at Understanding Languages across transnational spaces conference, Kazan Federal University, Russia, May 2016.
- Types of talk in problem-based learning sessions. Short talk, University of Glasgow TESOL conference, April, 2016.
- EAP course design. Key-note at Understanding Languages across transnational spaces conference, Kazan Federal University, Russia, May 2016.
- Summative assessment and the pre-sessional. Workshop presented at the University of St. Andrews EAP conference, February, 2015.
- CPD: encouraging teacher innovation and exploration. Paper presented at the University of St. Andrews EAP conference, March, 2014.
- Investigating student-centred academic discourse (problem based learning sessions in medical genetics). Work in progress paper, TESOL Seminar series, University of Glasgow, May, 2015.
- Investigating student-centred academic discourse (lexical bundles in PBLs). Work in progress paper, SMLC Seminar series, University of Glasgow, February, 2014.
- Investigating student-centred academic discourse ( exchange patterns and personal pronoun use in PBLs). Paper presented at BALEAP conference, University of Nottingham, 2013
- Competently brought to life. Workshop presented at BALEAP conference, University of Nottingham, 2013 (with Steve Kirk, Louis Rogers, and Anne Pallant)
- Integrating projects into a year-round pre-sessional: practice and perceptions. Paper presented at IATEFL Glasgow, 2012 and in T. Pattison (ed.) IATEFL 2012 Glasgow Conference Selections(with Rachel Elmslie)
- Opening Doors: Pre-arrival Teacher Induction Introducing EAP & TEAP via a VLE. Paper at IATEFL ESP/ EAP SIG EVENTEAP in university settings: teacher and learner competencies. Paper presented at Bilkent University, Turkey, June, 2010
- The TEAP Framework in Pre-arrival Induction. Presentation at BALEAP Professional Development Day, Southbank University, May, 2010
- Learning to Use the Learning Object Creator (LOC). Co-presenter on LOC pilot at E-learning Symposium, University of Southampton, January, 2008 (with David Donnarumma)
- Inter-cultural Communicative Competence. Paper presented at IATEFL SIG Conference, Istanbul, 2002
- Lexical Phrases and Collocations- adapting materials. Paper presented at IATEFL, York, 2002
- Teaching Collocations and Lexical Phrases. Paper at A Fresh Look at Grammar and Vocabulary: A Quest for Alternative Teaching Approaches?, 7th International Bilkent University School of English Language Teaching ELT Conference (BUSEL). January, 2002
- Academic Writing- designing and using a web site as a tool for an academic writing research project. Paper at Koc Cybertools, Istanbul, 2001
- Goal Setting and Learner Strategies. Paper at Teachers Develop Teachers Research (TDTR) , Middle Eastern Technical University, Ankara, September, 2001
- Collocations. Paper presented at Creativity within Constraints, Isik University ELT Conference, Istanbul, 2001
- Reflective practice- a tool for self-development. Paper at Global Problems, Local Solutions, Isik University, ELT Conference. Istanbul May, 2000.