Dr Carole Macdiarmid
- EAP Manager (Teacher Development) (English for Academic Study Unit)
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Teacher Development & EAP Teacher Competencies
- Spoken Academic Discourse
- Text and Discourse Analysis
- Corpus Linguistics
- Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESoL) Methodology
I am particularly interested in academic language use and in how our understanding of linguistic features can be applied to materials design, both for EAP language learners and for EAP tutor development courses.
UK-Brazil Collaborative Bid (British Council, University of Sao Paulo and University of Glasgow) £10,000; (2019)
- Facilitating Internationalisation in Brazilian Higher Education contexts: Developing expertise in teaching English for academic purposes (needs analysis project)
University of Glasgow Blended and Online Development (BOLD) project (2015)
- To convert the TESOL masters Teaching EAP option course to online format as part of the University’s online BOLD initiative; £6,622.94; 2015 (TEAP online course)
University of Glasgow Learning & Teaching Development fund (2014)
- To produce a flexible on-line resource (Transition to Academic Writing); £1,195; 2014
I am currently co-supervising the following PhD projects
Dangeni - Development of teacher cognition
Ahmed Alharbi, What kind of curriculum and assessment practices align with communicative language pedagogy?
Madeleine Strobel: Reading Circles in ESL Classrooms
Abduleelah Mohammed H Mohammed:Motivation to Learn English for Preparatory Year Students (ESP)
Meshari Alsuwayhiri: Investigating the role of Translation in EFL and ESP classes within the Context of Saudi University
MEd & MSc TESOL Dissertation supervisor
I am available to co-supervise postgraduate PhD students in the areas of:
- English for academic purposes (teaching, teacher competencies, academic discourse)
- Course and Materials Design
- TESOL methodology
- Teacher Development in TESOL
- EAP Manager (Teacher Development)
- MSc & MEd TESOL Co-Programme Leader
- Course Convener & Lecturer:
- Teaching English for Academic Purposes online course
- Teaching English for Academic Purposes (MEd TESOL & MSc TESOL)
- Language Learning and Applications (MEd TESOL)
- Course Design & Practice (MEd TESOL)
- Descriptions of Language and Applications - Discourse Analysis (MEd & MSc TESOL)
- MEd & MSc TESOL Dissertation supervisor
- PhD supervisor
- Culture & English Language Teaching (for English Language and Linguistics)
- Academic English for Lecturers
- Pre-sessional EAP tutor
Academic qualifications & Awards
- PhD. English Language (University of Glasgow), July 2017.
- MSc in Teaching English for Specific Purposes, Aston University
- Post-graduate Certificate in British Cultural Studies, University of Warwick.
- Cambridge/RSA DTEFLA, International School, Istanbul.
- Cambridge/RSA CTEFLA, International House, Hastings.
- MA (Hons) in Politics and Social and Economic History (Joint Honours), University of Edinburgh.
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Senior Fellow, RET
Academic Roles & Responsibilities
Internal (University of Glasgow)
- Subject Moderator & member of Joint Academic Management Board for English and Study Skills components of foundation programmes, Kaplan, Glasgow International College, since 2013.
- Member of Postgraduate Taught Committee (School of Education) and Postgraduate Committee (School of Modern Language and Cultures- SMLC).
- Co-EAS representative on SMLC Executive.
- Assessor & committee member for the BALEAP Accreditation Scheme.
- External Examiner for UG Advance Diploma in British and European Studies Pre-masters course, University of Oxford (since 2018).
- External Examiner for UG Preparatory Certificate, University College London (since 2017).
- Elected Member of Senate (2016- 2019).
- External Examiner for Pre-sessional Law courses and summer Pre-sessional: Kings College London, 2011-2014.
- External Examiner for Foundation Business and Engineering modules, INTO at Glasgow Caledonian University, 2009-2011.
- ELT representative on the University Council for Modern Languages (2016-2019).
- Member of BALEAP Teaching English for Academic Purposes (TEAP) working party (during TEAP Fellowship portfolio award design period).
- Cambridge ESOL CELTA Tutor and Assessor & Cambridge ESOL DELTA tutor; Cambridge ESOL Main Suite oral examiner; IELTS examiner.
Conferences & Resources (since 2000)
- MacDiarmid, C., and Rolinska, A. (2015). Transition to Academic Writing, online resource for international students.
- MacDiarmid, C. & Elmslie, R. (2012) Integrating projects into a year-round pre-sessional: practice and perceptions. In: T. Pattison (ed.) IATEFL 2012 Glasgow Conference Selections. IATEFL, Canterbury.
- MacDiarmid, C. (2008). Using sources in academic writing: online resource for international students.
- Exploring approaches to teacher observation on an intensive EAP pre-sessional course. Paper presented at BALEAP conference, University of Leeds, 2019.
- ‘I was interested to see you'd…’: Tasks that engage learners on an online course. Paper presented at Learning & Teaching Conference, University of Glasgow, March 2018.
- I don’t know I mean ….stance bundles in student discussions. Talk at the University of St. Andrews EAP conference, February 2018.
- Keywords and academic disciplines: what can keyword analysis tell us about medical genetics and problem-based learning? Short talk at a Corpus Linguistics in Scotland event: Corpus linguistics and cross-disciplinarity, University of Glasgow, December 2017.
- TEAP Online. Talk at a BOLD (the Blended and Online Learning Development) Showcase Event: Transitions into Blended and Online Learning, University of Glasgow, May 2017 (with Anna Rolinska).
- Reflecting the academy in EAP course design. Talk at BALEAP Accreditation Scheme Event- Syllabus Design, Sheffield Hallam, May 2017.
- Exploring spoken academic discourse. Workshop at Understanding Languages across transnational spaces conference, Kazan Federal University, Russia, May 2016.
- Types of talk in problem-based learning sessions. Short talk, University of Glasgow TESOL conference, April 2016.
- EAP course design. Key-note at Understanding Languages across transnational spaces conference, Kazan Federal University, Russia, May 2016.
- Summative assessment and the pre-sessional. Workshop presented at the University of St. Andrews EAP conference, February 2015.
- CPD: encouraging teacher innovation and exploration. Paper presented at the University of St. Andrews EAP conference, March 2014.
- Investigating student-centred academic discourse (problem based learning sessions in medical genetics). Work in progress paper, TESOL Seminar series, University of Glasgow, May 2015.
- Investigating student-centred academic discourse (lexical bundles in PBLs). Work in progress paper, SMLC Seminar series, University of Glasgow, February 2014.
- Investigating student-centred academic discourse ( exchange patterns and personal pronoun use in PBLs). Paper presented at BALEAP conference, University of Nottingham, 2013.
- Competently brought to life. Workshop presented at BALEAP conference, University of Nottingham, 2013 (with Steve Kirk, Louis Rogers, and Anne Pallant).
- Integrating projects into a year-round pre-sessional: practice and perceptions. Paper presented at IATEFL Glasgow, 2012 and in T. Pattison (ed.) IATEFL 2012 Glasgow Conference Selections (with Rachel Elmslie).
- Opening Doors: Pre-arrival Teacher Induction Introducing EAP & TEAP via a VLE. Paper at IATEFL ESP/ EAP SIG EVENTEAP in university settings: teacher and learner competencies. Paper presented at Bilkent University, Turkey, June 2010.
- The TEAP Framework in Pre-arrival Induction. Presentation at BALEAP Professional Development Day, Southbank University, May 2010.
- Learning to Use the Learning Object Creator (LOC). Co-presenter on LOC pilot at E-learning Symposium, University of Southampton, January 2008 (with David Donnarumma).
- Inter-cultural Communicative Competence. Paper presented at IATEFL SIG Conference, Istanbul, 2002.
- Lexical Phrases and Collocations- adapting materials. Paper presented at IATEFL, York 2002.
- Teaching Collocations and Lexical Phrases. Paper at A Fresh Look at Grammar and Vocabulary: A Quest for Alternative Teaching Approaches?, 7th International Bilkent University School of English Language Teaching ELT Conference (BUSEL). January 2002.
- Academic Writing- designing and using a web site as a tool for an academic writing research project. Paper at Koc Cybertools, Istanbul, 2001.
- Goal Setting and Learner Strategies. Paper at Teachers Develop Teachers Research (TDTR) , Middle Eastern Technical University, Ankara, September 2001.
- Collocations. Paper presented at Creativity within Constraints, Isik University ELT Conference, Istanbul, 2001
- Reflective practice- a tool for self-development. Paper at Global Problems, Local Solutions, Isik University, ELT Conference. Istanbul, May 2000.