Dr Alistair Hunter
- Senior Lecturer in Health and Social Policy (School of Interdisciplinary Studies)
I joined the University as Senior Lecturer in Health and Social Policy in 2018. Prior to that I held a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Edinburgh (see Grants below). My PhD (Edinburgh, 2012) was awarded the Maria Baganha Prize for best PhD in the field of migration studies, presented by IMISCOE, Europe's largest network of migration scholars. My book Retirement Home? Ageing Migrant Workers in France and the Question of Return was published open access by Springer in 2018. The book received an honourable mention for the Khayrallah Prize in Migration Studies 2018, and was shortlisted for the British Sociological Association's Philip Abrams Memorial Prize 2019.
- Centenarians / Oldest Old
- International Migration
- End-of-Life Issues
- Ethnic and Religious Minorities in the UK / rest of Europe
- Social Systems Theory
Burying our Differences: Negotiating faith and space in contexts of death and diversity.
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship
‘Research in Paris’ Scholar Award
Mairie de Paris (Paris City Council)
- Ageing, especially in connection with health and social care, housing, pensions, minorities and migration.
- Return and circular migration; transnationalism; diaspora.
- Migrant integration policies.
- Ethnic and Religious Minorities in the UK/ rest of Europe.
- End-of-life issues, especially from a human geography perspective.
Current/Future PhD projects
Innovative Models of Community Housing with Care
Sponsor: College of Social Sciences, University of Glasgow
Duration: 2020 -
PhD projects supervised to completion
Feeling at Home and Seeing the Other Side: Muslim responses to Right-Wing Populism
Sponsor: Alwaleed Centre for the Study of Islam in the Contemporary World, University of Edinburgh
Duration: 2016 - 2019
- Challinor, Jennifer
Innovative models of community housing with care: a cross-cultural study into loneliness technology and intergenerational living
- Level 1: Contemporary Health Challenges (Convenor)
- Level 2: Research Methods in the Social Sciences
- Level 4: Honours Action Research Project (Convenor)
I have also held positions at the University of St Andrews and the David Hume Institute think-tank. In 2015-16 I was a visiting fellow at INED, the French National Institute for Demographic Studies in Paris.